Thoughts about a 4-2-1-2-1?

This is the first time I've presented one of my tactical ideas for feedback from the forums.

I'm playing FM16, managing a team in Luxembourg (an edited database) that is one of the weaker sides in the top league. We were apparently promoted from the second league in 2014/15, and I'm tasked by the board with keeping them up this season.

The league's ranking is similar to League Two in England.

I want our side to be difficult for stronger teams to pick apart, so defensive solidity is a must. The board also want me to play defensive football.

The best player in the team is a natural AM(L). He's also accomplished at M(L).

We also have two good DM's. One is accomplished as an M©, but the other is unconvincing there. Both are veterans, with such good mental attributes that I want them on the pitch, setting the tone for the team. One of them is the captain.

I'd like to use all three of these players effectively, so I was toying with the idea of a 4-2-1-3 (4-2-1-2-1) shape, using advanced midfielders on the right and left and a single striker.

GK/d

FB/s CD/d CD/d FB/s

DM/d DM/s

MC/s

W/s W/a

AP/a

Counter mentality, with no TI's or PI's. I'm trying to keep the tactic very simple to begin with, and use TI and PI to fine-tune the tactic if and when I need to. I want a good, solid, balanced tactic to use as a starting point.

I'm also thinking about a Defensive mentality, with both wingers on support duties and a DLP/s on top.

What do some of you think? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the tip, herne79. I had just spotted that and was about to click on it.

I'd thought about using a 4-1-4-1, but I wondered if the midfielders I have available are well-suited for that formation.

The thread isn't saying to use a 4-1-4-1 formation, that's just the example used. Follow the principles discussed and use your own formation :).

From your example posted above, you could simply drop the two wide men at AML/R to ML/R if you want to stay with the same formation - experiment, see what works for your team.

You're right; as I start reading the thread, I see that Cleon isn't "mandating" the 4-1-4-1. That wouldn't be Cleon's style at all. I'd only glanced through the first post when I replied to you, which is why my eye landed on 4-1-4-1. :)

I'll experiment with both options: using wide men in the AML/R stratum and the ML/R stratum and see how it works.

Archived