How does playing a player out of position affect him?

I'm assuming his technical skill doesn't decrease (why would his assigned position affect his ability to kick a ball?), nor his physical skills (he's not going to be physically weaker just because he's not in his favourite position) but then what does it affect? His mental skills? For example his positioning and movement? And how much?

And do the same effects apply if the player is assigned the correct position but is in an "unfamiliar" area of the pitch? For example, if a winger tracks his runner and finds himself in the fullback position, does he play worse because he's in an area of the pitch where he's not accomplished?

I'm not sure of the "offical" answer on this, but from just viewing it on the game, it would appear that their stats are affected. I bought 2 excellent right backs during one summer transfer window in the hope one could be retrained as a left back. Neither were interested in being retrained as it turned out, but i played one of them there regardless and he was hopeless. Was always caught out and beaten. Whereas, when i played him at right back, he never lost a tackle.

• SI Staff

It's all interlinked, for instance a simple lack of confidence from playing in a position they are less familiar with could easily affect every single aspect of a player's game - though I'm not saying that this will necessarily always be the case, it depends on the player and a whole host of other factors.

Okay so what about the second part of the question? If a winger tracks a runner then he will essentially be playing as a full back for a short time, will he suffer for that?

What I'm asking is does a player play worse based on his nominal position/role in the team? Or based on his de facto position on the pitch?

Archived