Alexis, Welbeck and Walcott: Making the most of pace

I have been trying to come up with a good alternative tactic for my Arsenal save. My primary tactic is the ever trusty 4-1-2-1-2 Diamond so I decided I want something that utilizes wide players a little more while also making use of the pacey attackers the team now has.

So far I have come up with the following (work day musing so yet to be implemented in FM)

Arsenal442_zps9c7ffb57.png

Ideas/Principles

Overall

I think this is a tactic I will want to use a bit more soaking up pressure then looking to burst forward. I do think it could be used to press somewhat too, but its primary purpose will be to retain shape. This is making me lean towards Counter for the Mentality and Balanced for the fluidity. I am tempted to maybe make this rigid but will test as I go.

Team Instructions

• I am going to keep it relatively simple to start with and add as I watch more games.
  • Pass into space – I want to encourage through balls for my pacey wide players and forwards to run onto.
  • Run at Defence – I considered using PIs to achieve this, but for now, looking at the players I have, I want most of my attackers to look to take defenders on, especially if we are trying to counter quickly I don’t want them to hold up play looking for a pass when they could try beat a man first.
  • Higher Temp – I want us to move the ball quickly and attack with decent urgency. Obviously this one will change a bit, but usually I would trust in the technical ability of my squad to not be too wasteful while playing at a faster pace.

That is all for now. I will likely spot more things as I progress.

Players

• I won’t go over everything in depth here. Just the more significant choices.
  • Central Defence – I usually keep it pretty simple with the central defence. Since there is a holding playing in front I don’t really see any need for a stopper cover system. We are looking to play a bit deeper, so no Offside Trap either.
  • Full backs – The right back will be covering for the Winger attacking that flank, so much like the Sagna/Walcott combo, the fullback will be tasked with being defensively responsible. The left full back will look to provide the width down the left working with the Wide Mid cutting inside.
  • Central Midfield – I thought about going with a flat two in the MC strata and making it a bit more of a dynamic partnership, but decided due to the players I have (I added Lars Bender to the squad) I have a player who can do a really good job covering in front of the defense and then with Ramsey’s great levels of work rate and stamina he should be able to play the link role really well. I have favored using a CM(a) to achieve runs from midfield so far on FM14 so though I would give the BBM a go. There is flexibility here so I may try a few different things against different opposition.
  • Wide Attackers – Pretty straight forward here. Wanting to utilize the pace in the side at least one of these players needs to be bombing down the sideline. Walcott or Alexis should be effective down the right hand side. On the left I want a player that can cut in a little bit to help out with some play making, but at the same time I still want them dangerous on the counter so I will likely ask them to either sit narrower, dribble more, and cut inside, but not all at once so as not to restrict them too much.
  • Forwards - I have read various posts from experienced members about how it is impossible to recreate the Henry/Bergkamp partnership…. so I won’t try, however in Welbeck and Ozil (or Alexis or even Walcott, a few potential combos there) I do have a pretty dynamic duo. My aim is to have a pacey striker with decent technical ability leading the line and providing good movement to open space for a second striker/treq/playmaker etc. I am not 100% set on roles right now, the picture above has a CF(s) and SS combo, but I think if it were Ozil and Welbeck I would maybe opt for a CF(a) and Treq partnership. Key will be having the FC moving into channels.

For now that will be all, this was more to help me think out a draft in my mind.

Next up, first in game iteration of the tactic with PIs, plus some in game analysis.

Hi, enjoyed the opening post and noted your initial preference for a diamond set-up.

This is an option I'm currently using in my FM13 Arsenal save:

I feel that Alexis, Welbeck and Walcott are a bit lightweight to play at STR so instead I have kept the diamond set-up but pulled them wide to STRL and STRR.

IFa, IFa

APs

DLPs, BBM

Anc

WBs, CDd, CDd, WBs

It allows me to play so many of Arsenal's best players in their best positions, gives the APs and BBM room to create passes and move into, is flexible enough that the IF's can come back in line with APs and not lose familiarity, changing to IFs allows the set-up to be a little more defensive and creative at the same time

Looking at the setup I'd be inclined to change the anchorman to a DM(d). Should make him more mobile in defense and more readily fill up gaps left by the asymmetrical formation. I would also consider making the shadow striker an MC(a) for more defensive stability and relying more on your pace and flair for goals.

Archived