Help - Steam won't let me play :(

So I tried to start up FM14. The screen flickers and at the taskbar the FM14 icon appears. And that's it.

When I right click the icon and choose 'Close window' nothing happens.

When I right click the icon and choose 'Football Manager 2014 14.3.1f487696' an error message pups up telling me the app is already running.

When I start the Task Manager and close FM from there, FM automatically starts up again with the screen flickering and no more.

If I instead close down Steam, then Steam also restarts itself.

I've done the cache integrity stuff. I've closed down Anti-Virus and graphic toolbox as per Steam help instructions when a game fails to start. But nothing helps.

I haven't installed anything FM related for quite a while so it has worked fine up until now.

All my other Steam games run fine.

So have anyone encountered something similar and may know how to make Steam behave? I'd be glad to hear.

I get similar occasionally, just use task manager to close all FM & Steam processes.

You could also just also reboot (I don't have Steam loading at startup).

Once all processes are closed you should be able to load Steam & then FM as normal.

Unfortunately I've done all of this several times as well and it didn't help.

Maybe I just need to reinstall the game... That's just annoying with the extra graphic and extras installed. As well as all the in-game stuff I need to click away again (you know, all the stuff one don't need to know about and don't want to fill up the news messages...)

I've had problems today too.

According to the Task Manager, the game was running...but I had no game on-screen. It just stayed as the desktop.

Every time I tried to close FM.exe down, Steam tried to restart the game, which then put it back into the processes list.

I did a forced shutdown to restart the system, tried again, same result.

I performed another forced shutdown and restart, then reinstalled the graphics drivers (just in case), verified the cache integrity, etc.

This time I got the game to start, but every time I move the mouse I'm getting 'fractal' like patterns all over the screen. They disappear again when I move the mouse.

Other Steam games have no problems with graphics displays (I've tried Rome: TW, Empire: TW and F1 2013). Just seems to be a problem Steam's having with FM, though it worked perfectly yesterday/in the early hours of this morning (UK time).

EDIT: Fixed. Seems it was an issue with AMD drivers. I rolled back to an older version and the game's displaying perfectly again.

Archived