Can't afford a new contract for a player under contract...

So I have a young player. Definitely key for me. I know, don't get attached to a player and sell if needed.

So here's the skinny. The player is 26, plays center MF and center DM.

Current contract is 8.75k pw.

Value has climbed to 3.3 million.

Current contract expires June 30, 2022 (current date July 10, 2020); so two seasons left on this deal.

I glanced at his contract request, it's in the 20k pw range. No way I can afford that right now. Maybe next year if our finances stay in control, attendance goes up and my budget goes up accordingly.

I've just been promoted from SBL1 to SBL Championship League. That contract if I get relegated kills me.

So, do I make him play out his existing contract? How likely is it this will affect his game and production?

My AssMan brought it to my attention that he is likely to ask for a new contract soon.

Ignore your ass man. Most of the time when he tells you in a coaching meeting that so and so will ask for a new contract soon it doesn't happen. The only time to you to take attention is when you get a message that a player wants to speak to you about a new contract.

I have a personal rule that no one gets a new contract until they have only a year or so left on their current deal. As you are in the lower leagues, there is really nothing to do about it. If this player does get pissy about his contract, sell him. You don't know if you will be able to afford him when his current deal is up. You would be better off getting cash for him than letting him go on a Bosman. But, you don't need to make that decision for another year as long as he doesn't demand a new deal sooner.

Yeah, I always ignore what my backroom staff say regarding contracts. There are only two occasions where I will give a player a new contract, either their current deal runs out in a year or they personally request a new one and I want to keep them around (and happy). His morale will only take a hit if he requests an improved contract and you turn him down but since he hasn't done that yet, I wouldn't worry about it for now.

Archived