Playing defense and using instructions

This could very well be me just not knowing how to play this game, but 2 years ago when playing Football Manager for the first time I had a problem and that was opposing teams would ALWAYS do through passes to their teammates where they have breakaways and score goals on me. I read forums, looked at tactics, tried different things but in the end I figured it was just cause I sucked at the game. Now, two years later apparently I must still suck because the SAME thing is happening all over again. It's either I don't know how to do tactics (although I'm using a 4-2-3-1 formation that fits my players style), my defensive players are terrible, or the through passing is very broken.

I would say that 80% of the goals that happen against me are from through passes where players end up getting clean breakaways. What am I doing wrong? How is this prevented? I have selected a more defensive approach and not to hassle opponents, etc but they still get beat by almost every team I play. Btw, I'm Luton in Skrill Premier.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Beyond frustrated at this point considering this very thing happened two years ago when I had an earlier version of FM. :(

Archived