FM14: Bad UI - A Simple Suggestion!

As a soon to be engineer in computer science, I cannot help but to be disturbed by the interface of the tactical team-instructions. It is particularly inefficient. Here is an example of it:

OHHVQIG.png

Sure, it's fairly easy to understand and is meant to be pedagogical, but I find that the system fails at some points.

• Unclear Relationship: One cannot see the red-checked box that belongs to the green-checked box
  • Waste of space, should use a combo box instead of just text fields
  • When many options are clicked it becomes rather cluttered

I have tried to illustrate a suggestions of improvements in this photoshop image:

9j0DehB.png

Now I just took it the far right category (General), in a very simple case. But the idea is to have a so-called combo-box for each child-sub-category (Tempo, Creative Freedom) in each parrent-sub-category (Possession, defense, general, etc.). Every clickable options continues to display a red or green marker to confirm that you have clicked it and also to see any possible conflict. However, we add a small colored circle, which then shows which conflict that assosciates to who.

By doing this you will be able to save space (since each sub-category can be expanded and/or minimize), and gives us the oppurtunity to introduce new options in the sub-categorys without loosing important space. One will also get a clearer link between all relationships. It's not as vague as before!

The proposal is not particulary beautiful, but a talented designer (and even myself could fix something good in a few hours) could make it more aesthetically pleasing. It's absolutely not certain this is the right way to go, but a change is very much needed to clarify the relations between the options, and to minimize the huge waste of space the current system has.

When it comes to further improvements I would like to see in the game:

• A tiki-taka option. How "short" is short-passing game? Before, they had 1-20 to go by, now only 3? (plus the ones in play-instructions to increase and decrease further). That's not enough.
  • I would also like to see the possiblity to change the mentality for every player in the player instructions. Maybe I want my defensive playmaker to "Contain" meanwhile the rest is offensive. That's not unrealistic and was very much possible in earlier versions of the game, by setting it manually.
  • Graphic illustration of each tactic-option would be extremely educational, so that you can "see how it really works" instead of just a text description!

Yep, that was my little suggestions for improvements to future editions. You, SI Games, have probably already thought of this though! :)

Have to say I think its great already.

Green is selected.

Black can be selected in conjunction with whats already selected.

Red? Well the first time you select one the greens change to black or red showing what then conflicts.

Only took a pre season friendly to work it out.

Archived