FC Metalist Kharkiv - Breaking the dominance of Shakhtar and Dynamo Kyiv

lfc7

WELCOME

Hi and welcome to the FC Metalist Kharkiv thread for 2012 with the challenge being to break the dominance of Shakhtar and Dynamo Kyiv, Football Manager doesn't count the USSR cup that Metalist won, so on the game they have never won a trophy. I myself will be looking during the course of the save to get some trophies on board and qualify for the Champions league for the first time, but am sure it wont be easy, anyway if you decide to be Metalist good luck.

metalistbadgeandteampic.jpg

HISTORY

FC Metalist Kharkiv (Ukrainian: ФК «Металіст» Харків) is a Ukrainian professional football club based in Kharkiv. During the Soviet Union its name was spelled in the Russian manner as Metallist (literally - Steeler).

The team has played under the following names: KhPZ (1936–1946), Dzerzhinets (1947–1956), Avangard (1956–1965), Metallist (1965–1991) and FC Metalist (since 1992).

FC Metalist Kharkiv competes in the Ukrainian Premier League, the top football league in the country, it was initially founded in 1925, when a local train construction facility (KhPZ) provided funding and allowed use of its land to start a football club. Ten years later, the club won the city of Kharkiv championship, which allowed the club to enter the USSR Cup in the following season. Following World War II, the club resumed playing in local competitions, promoting itself to the Soviet Second League B in 1947 only to be demoted three seasons later.

In 1956, Metalist as Avanhard returned to the Soviet Second League B replacing its city rivals Lokomotyv Khakriv. Soon thereafter it was promoted first to Soviet First League in 1958, and later to the Soviet Top League in 1960. The club stayed in Top League for 4 seasons, but was demoted to First League in 1963, continuing its decline with demotion to Second League.

In 1978, the club was promoted to the Soviet First League and two years later, the club finished third in the competition narrowly missing promotion to the top flight. The following season, the club improved on their previous performance and won the Soviet First League outright to earn a spot in Soviet Top League. The club sustained 10 seasons of the Soviet Top League with several successes on the domestic front.

In 1983, Metalist was the runner-up in the USSR Cup (losing 1–0 to Shakhtar Donetsk) and a few years later in 1988 would win the cup, beating Torpedo Moscow 2–0. As a result, Metalist Kharkiv earned a trip to the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup. Metalist only advanced to the last sixteen of the competition, beating Yugoslavian side Borac Banja Luka and losing to the Dutch club Roda JC.

UKRAINIAN PREMIER LEAGUE

After the dissolution of the Soviet Union, and the formation of an independent Ukraine, Metalist joined the inaugural season of the Ukrainian Premier League in 1996. The club finished in 5th place, an achievement it would never top until the 2006–07 season, finishing in 5th place three more times since, the most notable coming during the 2001–02 season. The club finished with 40 points, on a par with FC Metalurh Zaporizhzhya and FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk for a three-way tie.

Metalist was expected to take 4th place (and subsequently compete in the UEFA Cup) by virtue of having the best three-way head-to-head record among the three teams (which is the official tie-breaker to be used in domestic competitions), but following a protest by FC Metalurh Zaporizhzhya and an arbitrary decision by PFL (the administrative body of the UPL), FC Metalurh Zaporizhzhya was awarded 4th place on grounds that they had better head-to-head records independently against either side. Following unsuccessful protests from Metalist, a disheartened management, team and fan base would see the club finish bottom in the following season and earning a demotion to the Ukrainian First League. However, the club would return to the UPL after one season and following a financial crisis and a takeover of the club by UkrSibbank co-owner Oleksandr Yaroslavsky, steady investment would see Metalist show improvement and balanced performance. They have also won the bronze title of the Ukrainian Premier League five times in a row, starting in the 2006–07 season.

EUROPEAN COMPETITIONS

In the 2006–07 season, Metalist finished third place in the league, qualifying for the UEFA Cup 2007–08, for their second appearance in a UEFA competition. They were drawn against English club Everton. The first leg, away at Goodison Park, ended in a 1–1 draw. Everton won the second leg 3–2, eliminating Metalist.

Metalist's next European competition was the UEFA Cup 2008–09 season. Metalist beat Beşiktaş 4–2 on aggregate in the first round to qualify for the group stage. Here they were grouped with Galatasaray, Olympiacos, Hertha Berlin, and Benfica. Metalist finished top of the group, beating Galatasaray, Olympiacos, and Benfica, and drawing 0–0 with Hertha. In the Round of 32 Metalist defeated Italian club Sampdoria 3–0 on aggregrate, setting up for an all-Ukrainian Round of 16 tie versus Dynamo Kyiv. After losing in Kiev 1–0, Metalist won the return leg to win the match 3–2, but were eliminated on the away goals rule.

METALIST STADIUM

The stadium was originally built in 1926 and as Metalist Stadium is scheduled to be one of the venues for Euro 2012, the management decided to reconstruct and expand the arena and turn it into a modern recreational and leisure facility. Capacity of the stadium has been increased by 13,000, with the final capacity being 40,236, Metalist Arena was also the venue for 2008 Ukrainian Cup Final.

metaliststadiumi.jpg

CLUB INFORMATION

Year Founded: 1925

Reputaion: National

Nickname: Zhovto-Syni (Yellow Blues), Metal

Chairman Status: Loves the Club

Legends: Olexandr Goryainov, Miron Markevych

Icons:

Favoured Personnel: Marko Devic, Papa Gueye

Fierce Rivals: Dnipro

Other Rivals: Dynamo Kyiv

Finances: Secure

Estimated Value: £78M

EXPECTATIONS

Champions League Qualification (League) - £8.25M / £300k p/w

Title Challenge - £10M / £325k p/w

Winner - £11M / £325k p/w

I chose Champions League Qualification

SQUAD

I am currently up to December in season 1 on my save so this is just my own opinion based on what ive seen so far, ive kept most of the squad and have only made 2 loan signings, you are allowed 7 FGN players in your starting 11

FGN players are in BLACK, Ukrainian players are in GREEN

GOALKEEPERS

Vladimir Disljenkovic (Has Ukranian nationality) is your number one keeper who i would keep till you can get a top class replacement, his only really weakness is one on one, but my Metalist side havent conceded many goals.

Olexandr Goryaninov is a legend of the club and is good enough to rotate/backup, but is 36 so will need replacing some time in the future.

Artur Denchuk is a 19 yr old with the potential to be good player, but just needs to improve on some stats like jumping, positioning.

There are two other Goalkeepers at the club in Maxym Startsev and Andriy Startsev who i would look to sell.

Overall a decent 1st choice with good backup and a young goalkeeper with potential

DEFENDERS

Papa Gueye is a club icon and one of the key players at the club and should be a automatic choice at central defence, he can also play at defensive midfield if needed, but i prefer to play him at central defence as a Limited Defender/Stopper as one or two of his stats to play him as a normal central defender arent too great.

Milan Obradovic is another good defender but at 33 will need replacing soon enough, i got offered his value (£2M) and with him due to turn 34 in Aug i decided to take the money, but if you were to keep him he could certainly do a job, he can also play in the full back positions if needed.

Marco Torsiglieri is a new signing at the club and at 23 yrs old can provide competition for a good few years, the only thing that really lets him down is his acc/pace.

Andriy Berezovchuk has provided backup for Gueye and has done well whenever needed, would look to keep until you can get better players in. Can also play at defensive midfield

Lucas Stetina a player with potential but will need to improve some stats if he is to turn into a good player

Cristian Villagra for the fullbacks we start with Villagra who is my 1st choice right back, although he does have some stats that arent great, which should be for a full back, i.e Marking, Tackling, jumping and strength, he has still played well for me and shall keep till i can find a better replacement.

Vitaly Bordijan your backup for right back who is poor and would look to sell

Olexandr Romanchuk 1st choice left back and should make that spot his own for the next few years, plus he is ukrainian. Could also play in Central defence

Sergiy Pshenychnykh ok backup at left back but would look to replace

Overall would look to get a better right back and left back in as cover or starter in the future and also a central defender if you decide to sell Milan Obradovic

MIDFIELDERS

Cleiton Xavieranother one of your key players at the club, he is primarly an attacking midfielder, but as i dont use one i play him at central midfield, he can also play on the wings but i prefer to play him in cenral midfield, yet to win a cap for brazil at the age of 28 which is something am hoping to change.

Edmar a good central midfield player who you should look to keep with the bonus being that he is ukrainian, can also play at defensive midfield or on the right wing.

Marlos a new signing from Sao Paulo and another player i have been playing at central midfield as i dont use attacking central midfielders in my formation, he can also play on either wing and can certainly be a key player, only 23 years old aswell.

Yuriy Tkachuk 16 yr old central midfielder, may develop in to a good player

Olexandr Andrievskyi another 16 yr old central midfielder but with more potential and could become a really good player

Sergiy Valyaev on to defensive midfield and even though he is 32 Valyaev can still do a job, would look to keep for a season or two at least.

Juan Manuel Torres a new signing and can provide competition to Valyaev, although ive not been too impressed with him and may look to sell in the jan window, but could still be a good player.

Oleg Shelaev, Maxym Yakhno would look to sell as both are poor.

Lots of quality here but overall you could maybe bring a central midfield player in depending on your formation.

WINGERS

Marko Devic another one of your key players, would never sell him, can also play on the left or upfront, where i have actually played him and he has been amazing.

Jose Sosa a new signing and one who can be a key player for the club, also your highest earner on 20k a week, another one to keep.

Sebastian Blanco signed last season but injured and injured when the game starts, when he returned from injury ive been gently easing him back into games and he is starting to show his potential, could be a great player for the club.

Taison a key player on the left hand side who can also play upfront, providing great competiton for places along with the others, could do with improving finsihing and composure.

Fininho not good enough for the left attacking midfielder position or the full back position and as i dont use left midfielders decided to get rid, could only get loan offers for him.

Dmytro Yeremenko could be a great player if he gets game time as he is already 20, but is ukrainian aswell. Could maybe rotate with Devic as he gets older, definetly worth developing.

Overall you have loads of amazing talent here so no need to strengthen.

STRIKERS

Jonathan Cristaldo has the talent to become a great striker for the club, but ive had problems with him missing chances or shooting straight at the keeper, tried to get him to place shots but he couldnt learn it, anyway shall stick at it as he certainly has the talent.

Andriy Vorobey not a bad backup but as he only has one year left on his contract and being 32 i shall keep him for the season and let him leave on a free.

Artem Radchenko 16 year old striker with the potential to be a key player for the club in the future, definetly look to develop

Robert Gegedosh a decent striker but will most probably sell him

Overall you could do with a signing depending on formation, i play one upfront and rotate between Cristaldo and Devic (who has been amazing) but have also played Taison there aswell

TACTICS

I am using my own 4-5-1 and 4-2-3-1 tactics, sorry there is no screenshots of my tactics but ive just got a new laptop with windows 7 on and when am using prt screen on fm and then go in to paint i wont let me paste it, if anyone can help i would appreciate it.

OVERVIEW

So why go FC Metalist Kharkiv ? You have a chance to win the clubs first trophies ? there is some exciting players at the club and some to develop, challenging Shakhtar, Dynamo Kyiv and even Dnipro for the title, getting into the Champions League and doing well the list goes on. Hope you have as much fun as i am

Season 1 Report Part 1

My aim this season was to try and finish in the top 2, get as far as i could in the Europa League and maybe try and win something, i got 2 out of 3 which isn't bad although the trophy i won was only the Ukrainian cup.

Premier League

Very very unlucky missing out on 2nd place to Shakhtar, with us both finshing on 73 pts and the same amount of games won, lost and drew, i had the least goals conceded in the whole league but Shakhtar scored more so finsihed 2nd ahead of me on goal difference

Final Premier League Table

ukrainianpremierleagueo.png

Ukrainian Cup

zoryavmetalistsplitview.png

Europa League

Didn't expect to do much in the competiton were i got to the semi final and was beaten by Red Bull Salzburg 2-1 on agg, they scored a last min goal in the 2nd leg

Squad

metalistkharkivsquadpla.png

Transfers

metalisttransfershistor.png

Happy with the transfers i made, turned Anderson's loan permanent in season 2

Season 1 Report Part 2

Best Eleven

metalisthistorybestelev.png

My Players of the year

markodevicoverviewprofi.png

cleitonxavieroverviewpr.png

papagueyeoverviewprofil.png

Looking Ahead

Dissapointed to miss out on getting into the Champions League, but looking to push on this season as i was given a £22M budget and have spent about £16M.

Anyway thanks for reading (cant believe no one else is playing as Metalist, really enjoyable save and challenging aswell)

Archived