AKPALA.jpg

Nationality: Nigerian & Belgian

Date of Birth: 24th August 1986

Height/Weight: 182cm/80kg

Playing Position: Striker

Current Club: Club Brugge

Value: £1.1m

Career

Joseph Akpala is a Nigerian footballer who currently plays for Club Brugge in Belgium. Akpala has also had another spell in Belgium with Charleroi. Due to his seven seasons in Belgium, Akpala has claimed Belgian nationality through residency which means getting a work permit for him isn't a problem. Akpala's first spell in professional football was with Bendel Insurance FC where he scored thirteen goals in nineteen appearances. At international level, Akpala has represented Nigeria on five occasions and scoring one goal.

In Football Manager 2012

Joseph Akpala starts the game at Club Brugge and on my game he had a successful first half to the season by scoring eleven goals in twenty-four appearances with three assists. However, for some reason or another in my save, he became transfer listed. Towards the end of January he was either offered to me by his agent or found by one of my scouts and on a first look at his attributes I felt that he was of a similar mould to Ishmael Miller who had been successful in my league campaign. Financial restrictions, both in wage and fee restricted me from putting in a permanent offer for him. Still determined to sign him, I decided to see if I could loan him for the rest of the season and for a fee of £70k and half of his £10,500 wages, he joined. Akpala's first game for me was in a 4-1 win over Coventry City and he grabbed himself a brace. For the rest of the season he went and scored another seven goals in twelve appearances with two assists at an average rating 7.26. The role he operated in, in my team was a poacher with tweaks to suit my team play. Whilst his scoring record for me is good for a striker, I can't help but think that he isn't consistent enough. In my save I was lucky enough to have three strikers who I could rotate if they were having bad spells. Maybe that's why he wasn't consistent enough for me, he isn't your out and out goalscorer. Despite this though he's more than capable of getting himself enough goals in a season.

JosephAkpalaOverview_Attributes.png

I'm still debating whether or not I think he could hack it in the Prem? Part of me wants to give him a chance, but part of me doesn't because they'll probably be cheaper options now. If he's not transfer listed I won't be signing him. He's a good striker but he lacks consistency which is bad for a team just coming up. I do have Findley and Miller as well and I only play one up top and they all got goals. I also think that with the Prem being more open, they may get more chances which would hopefully mean more goals. From January onwards, teams were more careful against us(only lost 1 in 20 odd league games) and this is why we probably lost about 6 of our last 12 games which cost us the title.

Archived