*Official FMS Challenge 2010 #5* The Roy Hodgson Challenge

Terk

The Roy Hodgson Challenge by tenthreeleader

Since we're talking so much about him on these boards, why not challenge him? This challenge is loosely based on the great man's career. It's a bit longish, but then Roy has been around for awhile!

1) The Swedish Chef

Begin your game in Sweden. Win the Swedish league championship at least twice with the same club.

2) Not the 'Vicious Chicken of Bristol'

Move to England to any club outside the Premier League. Exceed Hodgson's accomplishments in his first foray in English management by earning promotion from any level.

3) How Swede It Is

Return to Sweden, to a different club from your first tenure there. With your new club, win two League Championship /Swedish Cup doubles. In any season in Sweden, reach the knockout stages of the Champions League (this is actually less than Hodgson did in Sweden: in his second stint there he won five league titles and knocked Inter out of the CL).

4) Like a Swiss Watch

Move to Switzerland. Win at least two matches in any European competition. You may move to a team that qualified for Europe prior to your arrival. Become Swiss national team manager (at any point in your challenge) and reach the World Cup.

5) Be Serie-ous

Take over any team in Italy. You do not need to win the Scudetto, but you do need to reach the last four of any European competition (Hodgson reached the UEFA Cup final with Inter).

6) Scandihoovian

Become national team manager for any of the Scandinavian nations. Qualify for either the European Championships or the World Cup.

7) Premier Performer

For your final bow, take over a Premiership team. Reach a European final OR qualify for the Champions League. Exceed Hodgson's accomplishments by winning the Premiership to complete your challenge.

Leagues: Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, all English leagues above BSN/BSS, Switzerland, Italy.

Challenge Log

Stage 1

Mark Snellink's attempt to take over the wörld saw him complete this stage by taking Göteborg to two Swedish titles.

Stage 2

Mark's journey took him next to Ipswich where promotion was gained in double quick time.

Stage 3

I suspect that he's only doing this to put off having to manage someone other than IFK in Swden, but he's chosen this time to take on the Swiss national job.

Stage 4

-

Stage 5

-

Stage 6

-

Stage 7

-

Congratulations to 10-3 :) I'd appreciate it if anyone attempting this challenge could ass (RHC) to their story title. If you post the link to your story in this thread then I'll make sure it gets updated into the challenge log.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'd love to as well, but it'll be a long road. Malmo are a mid-table side at the moment and I will need to transform them into a dominant force, more dominant than I made IFK (and they are quite dominant at the mo' :D), and then there's all the other ****. Tommy Mooney still has a loooooooot of work to do

To point out the epic challenge of overcoming IFK, since I left there, they've gone 45-19-20 (53.5 % win percentage), won the league for the third time and gone on to win two more cups, outscored their opponents 147-96 (1.9-1.1 p/game) and are currently 8 points clear at the top of the table, with a 14-point lead on numbers 3 and 4. 23 points ahead of my Malmo FF :p Also, they've again defeated Rosenborg to make it to the group stages of the Champions League, where they shall encounter Chelsea, Leverkusen and Sporting Clube de Portugal.

And that is who I am playing against next :eek:

I was having a lot of fun with this challenge, winning back-to-back titles with AIK and even getting into the group stage of the Champions League. Then I realised I hadn't selected the Swiss leagues when I set up the game. Schoolboy error. Might have to give it another shot though.

Looking forward to more writeups, Mark. My concern when I wrote this challenge was that it was too difficult. Are you finding it monotonous at all?

Not really, no. Moving clubs has been easy and the Swedish League is quite entertaining to play in. The worst part for me was the year at Ipswich, good thing it only took one season. Also got lucky with the Switzerland job, but the challenge has been a lot of fun so far and I foresee an interesting couple of years at Malmo. I'll be curious to see how the transition to Switzerland will go, I find that I'm already being linked on a regular basis to the biggest clubs in the world (Chelsea, AS Roma, etc.), just hope that that won't deter any Swiss sides from signing me when this part of the challenge is done (though I couldnt imagine why). Stage 4 should be a breeze, Swiss clubs are doing reasonable in Europe, especially Zurich.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Switzerland ended up making it to the Quarter Finals of the World Cup. I have now resigned from Switzerland and will be keeping an eye out for openings in Scandinavian international management. (Though I may wait until I am without a job to do that, as balancing international and club management can get a bit tedious). Looking like the double will probably have to wait until further down the road for Malmo, IFK still ridiculous at the present time. Halfway through the season and they've played 16, won 14 and drawn 2, whilst I have played 16, won 12, drawn 1 and lost 3. Also, no one has done me the courtesy of knocking them out of the Swedish Cup, so they'll be my opponent there in the quarters :/

Also, update the challenge log !!!

• 1 month later...
Quite surprised noone else seems to have tried this, I promise it's marvelous fun!

I got disheartened after having completed the first stage with AIK when I realised that I hadn't loaded up the Swiss leagues.

Archived