Fee Fife Fo Fum, I Smell the Blood...

Faramir

"We understand the position of the club and there is no false expectation of instant success. The books seem to believe we are the 9th best club in Division 3 going in, and the way we played last season, they have a right to view us that way. I believe we are better than that, or rather, we can become better than that," flatly stated East Fife Chairman William Gray.

I just nodded my head as there didn't seem anything to contradict in his statement.

"Lewis, that is why I want you to take over as Manager. I know the press are sneering at your credentials, but I really believe you can do this job."

"Thank you for your confidence Mr. Gray. I would be a fool to not accept your offer- and I am not a fool."

Gray nodded his head with curt acceptance.

"The club is yours then. We really have little money to spend on transfers and such, so I won't make promises. The Board's weekly wage budget is 5,400 a week and we are currently paying out 4,300 a week- so there is a little room to add a few players. Welcome to East Fife Mr. Grayling."

I don't imagine my smile was too small. I never expected to get a Managing opportunity anywhere in the Isles after my little to-do with the TV reporter after a difficult match in Eastborne Boro. Still, forgiveness is divine and instead of being a Youth Manager, now I have control of a club. The expectations are minimal here- at East Fife, but I really believe this club can be made to be better than everyone expects.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A horrible start left us behind 4-0 at the halfway point of the first half when hosting Brechin in our first friendly. Nothing went right, but our poor backline tackling left me considering my bad feelings that our backline isn't good enough. I do have to credit our effort in the match as we scored three goals to get back close and just missed an equalizer late in the match.

The new staff members joining the club are:

David Gemmell- Assistant Manager

Gordon Scott- First Team Coach

Willie Irvine- Youth Coach

John Harvey- Scout

"You weren't kidding when you said you were planning on adding players," offered David Gemmell.

"I think we need the depth and frankly some of these players are going to replace players already here," replied Grayling.

"It will take us awhile to gel, but I am sure you know that."

"I do. I don't have any illusions that it won't be problematic for a bit- but I am convinced this is the best way to improve the club. Here are the quick summaries for the PR department:"

Denis Boyle 25 year old Irish MC- Out of football for several seasons- known to have been tutored by current East Fife manager when coming up as a youth player.

Iain Vigurs 18 year old DL,ML- played for Elgin last season- likely to see time up and down the left side for East Fife.

Chibuzor Chilaka 19 year old DR/C,WBR- played for Hinckley last season- likely to see time both in the middle and rightback.

Sami El-Abd 18 year old DL/C- played for Crawley last season- likely to see time in both middle and leftback.

Danny Black 20 year old DR/C- played for Albion Rovers last season- possible starter at rightback.

Danny Ogunmade 22 year old WBL,AML- out of football last season- last played for Bellshill and Stenhousemuir- will play most anyplace up and down the left side of the pitch.

Gavin Holligan 26 year old SC- out of football last couple seasons- last played for Havant & W- known to current East Fife manager and will be in the forward rotation.

Ian Tillson 23 year old AM/FC- out of football last several seasons- known to current East Fife manager- versatile Irish forward who could fill one of several roles for the club.

Christopher Gilligan 19 year old ML/C- out of football last couple seasons- last played for Hartlepool youth program- likely to be in mix for center midfield rotation.

Harvey Bussell 16 year old AML- out of football last couple seasons- last played for Stafford Town- expected to be on the development side.

Michael Hilton 16 year old GK- played for York youth program until released at end of last season- will work on the development side.

Paul Martin 20 year old DC- played for Tranmere youth program until released at end of last season- left footed defender possible starter in central defense.

Andrew Duffy 21 year old AMLC- played for Dundalk last season- highly sought after Irish winger who will likely start at leftwing.

Stephen TUlloch 18 year old DL,ML- played for Raith last season- Scot youngster will see playing time at both positions.

Ricky Cathcart 23 year old DC- played for Ballinamallard United and Ards last season- Northern Irish player likely to work in our rotation at center defense.

John Sutton 18 year old DC- signed first pro contract with us- will play in our rotation in center defense.

James Evans 17 year old GK- highly sought after Keeper may get a chance to start some Senior side matches this season.

Tony Ord 14 year old AM/FC- signed a youth contract and will play on developmental squad.

Eddie McAvoy 14 year old DC- hulking Irish youth signed a youth contract and will play on developmental squad.

Rodney Grant 15 year old SC- Irish youth signed a youth contract and will play on developmental squad.

Derek Harrington 15 year old DL,WBL,AML- Irish youth signed a youth contract and will play on developmental squad.

"Quite a list of new additions there," commented Gemmell. "Developmental squad?"

"Under-19s," grinned Grayling.

"Things will be a little topsy-turvy for awhile with all these new players."

"Yes, I am certain they will be. With all these new additions, we are right at the Board's budgeted weekly wages of 5,900 a week- so if possible, I will be trying to find some players who were here before I took over new homes."

"That was embarrassing," muttered Gemmell.

"It wasn't pretty," agreed Grayling. "Still, the Referee did us no favours by handing Celtic Reserves two penalty kicks in the first 15 minutes. He made it pretty clear it was a 'no touchee' match for us."

"Still, we lost 6-0 because our backline absolutely could not make tackles to start out."

"True, and James Evans looked more than a little lost in goal today. I still saw a few hopeful signs- but it was not much fun being on the losing end of that train wreck."

"Much better effort and performance," stated Grayling.

"There was a lot more to like," agreed Gemmell.

"We could have won the match, but a 1-1 draw at Workington is an acceptable result- given our first two friendlies."

"We managed to find a new home for Gary Kelly," commented Grayling.

"Who picked him up?" asked Gemmell.

"Larkhall Thistle took him on free transfer."

"We didn't impress our fans very much today," offered Gemmell.

"Our backline play in the first half was just horrid again today. James Evans didn't help matters by being out of position on two of the goals," replied Grayling.

"4-0 to Cardiff wasn't a good result, but we did play better in the second half."

"Neil Jablonski is on his way to Shrewsbury," announced Grayling.

"How much did we get for him?" asked Gemmell.

"5K, but it does help us on our wage budget."

"That should have been a win over Rochdale. Instead we give them an own-goal and can't mark their forwards at all in the late moments and they get a 3-3 draw," muttered Grayling.

"We did some things right. We played pretty well offensively- but our backline play remains inconsistent," agreed Gemmell.

"I have been hoping to see one of our keepers step-up, but none of them have so far."

"Well, so far our friendlies have shown we have a lot of work to do," stated Grayling.

"A 4-1 loss to Caernarfon was just another bookmark on that page," replied Gemmell.

"Still, the matches don't mean anything yet and we show a few good moments every match."

"Nice to close out our friendlies with a 2-0 win," offered Gemmell.

"It was only Chester-le-Street, but yes- better to close with a win," countered Grayling.

"We did play much better on both sides of the ball."

"Now, we have to show we can do that same thing in the real matches."

Scottish 3rd Division odds by totalbet.com

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Berwick Evens

Dumbarton 5-4

Stenhousemuir 6-4

Queens Park 6-4

Arbroath 7-4

Elgin 5-1

East Fife 25-1

</pre>

East Fife (5) Arbroath (1)

East Fife- Stevie Nicholas 26,62 Andrew Duffy 31 Craig O'Reilly 41,45

Arbroath- Kevin Webster 17

MOM- Denis Boyle, East Fife

"All that work in the friendlies really paid off," grinned Grayling.

Gemmell laughed heartily, "We executed much better than in any of the friendlies. We really finished well today."

"Good passing and good defense- especially from our back line- were the keys. It was a great way to start the season."

"Nice debuts for Andrew Duffy, Craig O'Reilly and John Sutton."

"I wish O'Reilly wasn't just on season long loan- I think he will do really well in our system."

Nathan- me too, me too icon_smile.gif Thanks

East Fife (0) Hamilton (1) League Cup 1st Round

East Fife- None

Hamilton- David Winters 10

MOM- David Elebert, Hamilton

"We lost because the Referee and his Assistant couldn't stir themselves to get the proper angle and realize that David Winters was well offside," muttered Grayling.

"It was a bad no-call, because he was a clear 5 yards beyond our backline when they lofted that pass to him," agreed Gemmell.

"Still, David McEwen deserves a lot of the credit for their win. He made terrific one-on-one stops on both Craig Gibson and Gavin Holligan."

"Don't forget *we* were the one who lost the goal on the offsides- at least the one they called."

"Annoying to no end."

Heya Dixie icon_smile.gif Well, I am pretty partial to East Stirling (I just didn't want to play them again at the moment- so I used LLM randomizer to wind up with East Fife), so no guarantees (and no prisoners...) icon_smile.gif

East Fife (3) Elgin (1)

East Fife- Stevie Nicholas 4 Graham Gibson 76,90

Elgin- Chris Gardiner 89

MOM- Graham Gibson, East Fife

"Great effort by Graham Gibson off the bench. He showed Partick Thistle (parent club- on loan) something today," said a pleased Gemmell.

"It was a relief to see Stevie Nicholas deflect the cross from Lloyd Young past John Donegan in the opening moments," replied Grayling.

"Also some good passing by John Martin. He set up both of Gibson's goals with superb passing off the rightwing."

very true Dixie icon_smile.gif

Peterhead (1) East Fife (5) Challenge Cup 1st Round

Peterhead- Graeme Sharp 90

East Fife- Gavin Holligan 13,20 Graham Gibson 18,45,61

"Are you sure they won't give him to us permanently?" asked Gemmell with a grin.

"I doubt it Dave, but I will ask- all they can say is no," answered Grayling.

"Graham was terrific around the goal- 5 goals in the last two games is beyond anything I expected from him."

"It was nice to see Gavin Holligan come up with a couple too- he has been working hard since arriving."

Montrose (3) East Fife (2)

Montrose- Paul McLaughlin 3,56 Jim Weir 20

East Fife- Stevie Nicholas 74 Craig O'Reilly 90

MOM- John Adam, Montrose

"Our backline was back to their bad ways, their poor play in the early going doomed us," lamented Grayling.

"Well, we did fight back, but you're right- we handed them the match," offered Gemmell.

"I was disappointed in John Dodds today. That first goal was all his responsibility when he failed to control the rebound."

"True, and the backline failures caused the second two goals."

Damien- yes, this one is FM 2007

Albion Rovers (2) East Fife (1)

Albion Rovers- Mark Stewart 36 John McGoldrick 41

East Fife- Craig O'Reilly 71

MOM- Mark Stewart, Albion Rovers

"I don't know what John Dodds was thinking on that second goal, but it was clear that he wasn't concentrating on the play," fumed Grayling.

"Their first one was a gift too- with our non-existent marking," sighed Gemmell.

"I really thought we might get back to even after Craig O'Reilly deflected past David Scott."

Ross County (3) East Fife (2) Challenge Cup 2nd Round

Ross County- Branamir Kostadinov 16,24 Derek Adams 55-P

East Fife- Stevie Nicholas 63 Graham Gibson 67

MOM- Branamir Kostadinov, Ross County

"If we don't start as badly as we did, we would have had a good chance to win this match," said Grayling glumly.

"Kostadinov just blew past our defenders twice, but if Iain Ross plays either of them intelligently he would have had a lot better chance to actually make the save," replied Gemmell.

"I was mad at Sami El-Abd for giving away the penalty- even if it looked like it didn't matter much at that point. He didn't make a good choice when he challenged from behind in the area."

"I felt the same- and then that goal was the one that cost us as we rallied."

"Did you hear the news yet?" asked David Gemmell.

"What news?" replied Lewis Grayling.

"Denis Boyle was Player of the Month for August."

"Wow, I knew he had been our best player- but I hadn't realized he was drawing attention like that."

"John Sutton was 3rd in Young Player of the Month balloting."

East Fife (3) Queens Park (2)

East Fife- Craig O'Reilly 14 John Martin 22,51

Queens Park- Frankie Carroll 1 Nick Phinn 81

MOM- John Martin, East Fife

"I have to admit, that was a very sweet win," smiled Grayling.

Gemmell nodded, "Especially against a club that had been unbeaten and unscored upon coming into this match."

"I am still upset about their first goal- both their forwards were offsides on the play- but they ignore it. The next time down the pitch for us O'Reilly is inches offside and they call that one."

"At least we won and don't have to worry about the call."

"True. John Martin played a terrific match today."

"Your move of Paul Walker to center mid made a big difference today- not the least because it got Martin into the lineup," said Gemmell teasingly.

"Luck comes in many forms," stated Grayling grandly before he lost his composure and started chuckling.

Berwick (5) East Fife (4)

Berwick- Denis McLaughlin 27,39,45 Chris McGroarty 76 Kelvin Haynes 78

East Fife- Andrew Duffy 25,36,60 Craig O'Reilly 32

MOM- Denis McLaughlin, Berwick

Lewis Grayling hurled his clipboard against the wall.

"I am so p*ssed off at our backline...and John Dodds," steamed Grayling. "We had a match where all they had to do was play smart and play their position- and no one- not one of them- could."

"It was a pretty sad display and it ruined a terrific effort by Andrew Duffy," agreed Gemmell.

"Duffy was brilliant and so was Craig O'Reilly. That should have been enough, but it wasn't. The worst part was watching both Chibuzor Chilaka and Iain Vigurs head balls down in our area! Of course Berwick scores easy goals both times- that was just idiotic defending. I am seriously considering just tearing the backline down and starting again."

"That might be a bit drastic," murmured Gemmell.

Grayling sighed, "You're right Dave. Still, both Chilaka and Vigurs won't see the starting lineup anytime soon."

"I think I have a solution to our keeper problems," stated Grayling to Gemmell.

"What solution would that be?" asked Gemmell.

"I signed 22 year old Craig Farr today. I knew him coming up through English football and Swindon had let him go at the end of last season."

"What are we going to do with our current keepers?"

"Dodds will be backup for now. Evans goes to the Reserves to get some playing time. I am not sure about Iain Ross."

"If you think it is best."

"I know you might not be sold on the change Dave, but we have *got* to get some consistent work from our keeper- and none of them has come close to giving that to us yet."

East Fife (0) Stenhousemuir (1)

East Fife- None

Stenhousemuir- Gareth Hutchinson 32

MOM- Paul McNally, Stenhousemuir

Grayling just shook his head, "We played well, but another costly defensive mistake and we wind up with another close loss."

"We had plenty of chances to finish, but we did a lousy job of shooting today," offered Gemmell.

"Farr had a solid debut, but we left him without help on the goal as our backline got caught running around again."

Heh, mark- remember I usually only have two active stories at a time- the rest are played in advance (typically I have at least one full season played before I start posting- usually more...

HD- good to see you dropping around icon_smile.gif Not so much a matter of passion in the writing, I just continue to enjoy playing- the writing is just a journal of the playing for the most part icon_smile.gif

Dumbarton (3) East Fife (4)

Dumbarton- Liam Kelly 2 Tommy Coyne 57,80

East Fife- Craig O'Reilly 17,74 Stevie Nicholas 25 Andrew Duffy 45

MOM- Craig O'Reilly, East Fife

"Well, our defense stunk again- but if you can outscore them..." said Grayling.

"There were many things we did right today, but Tommy Coyne was a problem for us the entire match," answered Gemmell.

"Craig O'Reilly was on fire for us fortunately."

"Are you sure he won't sign with us?"

"I haven't given up yet," grinned Grayling.

"Good news Dave."

"Hmm?"

"Craig O'Reilly was the Player of the Month for September."

East Fife (2) Montrose (0)

East Fife- Stevie Nicholas 8 Craig O'Reilly 30

Montrose- None

MOM- Willie Paterson, Montrose

"Upending the 2nd place club despite not getting our best effort bodes well for the rest of the season," commented Gemmell.

"Stevie Nicholas got us off to a great start with his well placed shot," agreed Grayling.

"I can see now why you like Craig Farr so much. He has been very steady and is quickly getting comfortable."

East Stirling (1) East Fife (0)

East Stirling- Denis Boyle 30-OG

East Fife- None

MOM- Andy Brand, East Stirling

"Hard to get any momentum when we can't build upon our win over Montrose," offered Grayling.

"Pretty telling when the only good scoring chance they had was the own-goal," replied Gemmell.

"We outplayed them by a lot, but only another loss in the end."

Elgin (0) East Fife (3)

Elgin- None

East Fife- Andrew Duffy 64 Craig O'Reilly 66 Paul Walker 77

MOM- Paul Walker, East Fife

"Nice way to rebound," smiled Gemmell.

"Our midfield- especially Paul Walker was brilliant today," replied Grayling.

"It took us long enough to finally get that first goal."

"True, and I admit I was a little bit worried. Still, once the dam burst we took full advantage of it."

"O'Reilly's goal to make it a quickfire double really was the key moment in the match. Elgin lost a bit of determination after that goal."

Dixie- Their revenge comes...eventually icon_wink.gif

"More good news," said an obviously pleased Grayling.

"And what honours for last month?" asked Gemmell.

"Both Player of the Month and Young Player of the Month. Paul Walker was Player of the Month. Iain Vigurs was Young Player of the Month."

"Vigurs getting that was more surprising than Walker. Paul had a great month."

"That is terrible news," muttered Grayling.

"Very discouraging. Tom (Courts) was practicing really well," answered Gemmell.

"How long?"

"With the reconstructive surgery on his cruciate- and rehab- likely 6 to 10 months."

"We will miss his presence as a gameday sub."

Arbroath (1) East Fife (3)

Arbroath- Bryan Scott 66

East Fife- Paul Walker 45-P Ryan Blackadder 57 Craig O'Reilly 73

"There was a lot to like about that win," said a pleased Gemmell.

"I don't know about that Dave. With how our backline played, we were a bit lucky to come away with a win," stated Grayling.

"I don't agree with that. Our execution on offense was excellent. Sure we had a few miscues on our backline play..."

"Miscues? We were making the same mistakes that we have been working on correcting for weeks. I don't find it very encouraging to be making those same ones. Still, we did play better on offense."

"It was nice to see Ryan Blackadder score after coming on for Denis Boyle."

"How bad was his injury?"

"Bad. The Doctor said Denis tore a calf muscle. He will be out 3-5 months."

"OUCH! We don't have much depth in the center of our midfield. I will have to talk to the Scouts to see what we might be able to find."

East Fife (1) Albion Rovers (1)

East Fife- Paul Walker 55

Albion- Mark Stewart 14

"I absolutely hate to give up a goal like that," sighed Grayling.

"It was a nice head down by Andy Mullen to set up that 25 yard strike by Stewart," replied Gemmell.

"The shot by Stewart should not have happened- Paul Martin wandered away from where he needed to be."

"Paul was trying to challenge in the air!"

"If he was- he wasn't close enough to Mullen to do much. He strayed," stated Grayling flatly.

"At least we got the Paul Walker header on Christopher Gilligan's free kick."

"It was a nice goal. We wasted too many chances in the second half."

Vale of Leithen (1) East Fife (1) Scottish Cup 1st Round

Vale of Leithen- Euan Hoy 87

East Fife- Paul Hampshire 4

Gemmell fumed, "I still can't believe that Hoy wasn't called for offside on his goal."

"It was close Dave. Still, if Stephen Tulloch doesn't head the ball down at the edge of the area- we don't have that problem," stated Grayling. "I don't know what we need to tell our backline to get them to quit doing that- we have got to head those away out to midfield, every time we don't we give up easy chances."

"We also wasted too many good scoring chances. We needed to put at least one more of them away."

"I have to agree with that," sighed Grayling. "Now we have to contend with a replay."

Thanks Terry- glad you are enjoying the story icon_smile.gif

East Fife (7) Vale of Leithen (0) Scottish Cup 1st Round Replay

East Fife- Ian Tilson 10 Scott Crabbe 17,21,33 Steve Fortune 20 Graham Gibson 60 Gavin Holligan 85

Vale of Leithen- NOne

MOM- Scott Crabbe, East Fife

"No complaints about anything in this match," offered a chuckling Grayling.

"None from me either. Scott (Crabbe) is getting a hard time from much of the club- that Player/Coach thing can occasionally be a problem," laughed Gemmell.

"They already told him he was buying the drinks at the pub."

"Who do we have next?"

"We will host Albion Rovers."

Thanks flying_fin icon_smile.gif will try...

East Fife (3) Berwick (3)

East Fife- Paul Walker 1 Andrew Duffy 48 Stevie Nicholas 51

Berwick- Sean Paliczaka 6 Iain Diack 62 Kevin Haynes 82

MOM- Andrew Duffy, East Fife

"Dave, there are times I just want to strangle our backline. What were they doing out there in the second half?" asked a clearly furious Grayling.

"No excuses for their play, but they are young and some of those mistakes are going to be made by young players," pointed out Gemmell calmly.

"Every goal they scored today was because of our backline play. The first one we fail to mark someone right in front on a free kick. The second goal Iain Vigurs doesn't even challenge the Diack as he tees it up. The last one sees John Sutton just standing there as Haynes scoots past him to score. I understand they are young- but I am frustrated!"

Gemmell tiredly nodded, "We should have won. We played well enough offensively to win."

Dixie- That is high praise to have you intrigued- thanks icon_smile.gif

Terry_M- Thanks much, glad you are enjoying it icon_smile.gif

"I signed some cover for the midfield," said Lewis Grayling to Dave Gemmell.

"Who might that be?"

"Carl Motteram. He is a 22 year old that can play any spot in the midfield. Originally he was in Birmingham youth program, but was released by Tamworth this season."

"Oh, that is a glowing reccommendation- being released by Tamworth," grinned Gemmell.

Grayling smiled, "I think he can help us- and he was free."

Queen's Park (0) East Fife (3)

Queen's Park- None

East Fife- Iain Vigurs 11 Paul Walker 28,45

"Now *that* was a nice way to rebound," stated a beaming Gemmell.

"I have to agree Dave. Our play was exceptional today and we easily beat the 1st place club at their own park- all good signs," replied Grayling with a big smile on his face.

"Craig Farr deserves a lot of credit for the win. If he doesn't make those big saves early in the match when our backline was still struggling- well I don't think we win."

"Fourth straight month with us having Player of the Month," stated a smiling Grayling.

"Second straight month that Paul Walker has been Player of the Month," offered Gemmell.

"Paul has been playing superbly, no doubt of that."

"Not only that, but we also have Young Player of the Month with John Sutton."

"Another honour richly deserved."

Stenhousemuir (2) East Fife (2)

Stenhousemuir- Andy Thomson 25 Gareth Hutchinson 87

East Fife- Ian Tilson 39,84

MOM- Ian Tilson, East Fife

Grayling was fuming, "We fight back to take the lead- and then hand them a draw when our backline refuses to challenge them as they get to our area!"

"It was a fine effort to fight back though Lew, you can't take all that effort and just ignore it," snapped Gemmell.

"I am not ignoring it Dave, but we can't afford to turn around and give them back points. Doing that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth."

"Mine too- and most of the players as well. But we still did accomplish a lot after yielding that early goal."

"Ian Tilson showed excellent finishing tonight," said Grayling as he simmered down.

"We just missed a couple more great chances as well."

"Jonathan Smart wasn't here?" asked Grayling.

"No. He didn't show up for training today," answered Gemmell.

"He is gone. If he isn't professional enough to come to practice- he can go find a new club."

"We will have to pay him out for the rest of the year."

"It is worth it to make the point to our youngsters- you have to make the committment to the club."

East Fife (1) Albion Rovers (1) Scottish Cup 2nd Round

East Fife- Paul Hampshire 50

Albion- Gareth Murray 84

MOM- Todd Lumsden, Albion Rovers

"Again! All we had to do is close the match out. Instead Ricky Cathcart tries to get fancy- gets the ball skinned away and they score a late equalizer and force a replay," said Grayling from behind pursed lips.

"It was a waste. We should have won and really had the match in control," agreed Gemmell.

"John Dodds didn't help matters on that play with his poor choice on where to make his goal kick. He kicked into the teeth of their coverage and we didn't have enough players back to help out."

Albion Rovers (1) East Fife (1) Scottish Cup 2nd Round Replay- Albion advances on Penalties

Albion- Gareth Murray 73-P

East Fife- Paul Hampshire 68

MOM- Sami El-Abd, East Fife

Grayling sighed tiredly, "Another wasted effort. We play well for most of the match- but then make a huge defensive mistake that ultimately costs us."

Gemmell nodded agreement, "I really thought we were going to win when we got the lead on Hampshire's free kick."

"Instead our whole backline gets caught up and Chibuzor Chilaka comes back to make a terrible challenge in our area and they score the equalizer on the penalty."

"If Gavin Holligan can score on *any* of his several excellent chances- we don't have to worry about it- but he failed to finish well."

East Fife (4) Dumbarton (1)

East Fife- Stevie Nicholas 8 Craig O'Reilly 13,69 Paul Walker 19

Dumbarton- Liam Kelly 42-P

"Much better," said a relieved Grayling. "We showed almost everything I wanted to see today."

"It was a dominant performance- very convincing win for us," agreed Gemmell.

"Great work by Craig O'Reilly and Stevie Nicholas today- they certainly keyed the win."

"That's not good news," sighed Grayling.

"Craig (Farr) will be out a couple weeks- at least the best guess- because of the strained wrist," stated Gemmell.

"I guess John Dodds gets the job back by default."

East Fife (3) East Stirling (1)

East Fife- Craig O'Reilly 25,45,65

East Stirling- Andy Morrow 63

"Craig O'Reilly was just brilliant today, but that injury..." sighed Grayling.

"Well, it looked worse than it was- just a gashed leg- but he will be out for at least a couple weeks," commented Gemmell.

"Overall, we played better defensively. I thought John Dodds should have stopped Andy Morrow on his goal."

"It was a bit weak. John did make a couple timely saves though."

East Fife (5) Elgin (0)

East Fife- Ian Tilson 7,85 Graham Gibson 20,31 Paul Hampshire 30

Elgin- None

MOM- Ian Tilson, East Fife

"Brilliant effort by the boys. One of our best efforts of the season," beamed Grayling.

"We didn't make any mistakes, but this was the last place club- so I wouldn't get too carried away," replied Gemmell.

"I am not, especially in light of Paul Walker's injury."

"How bad?" asked Gemmell grimly.

"Bad. He tore his calf muscle and may be out the rest of this season."

"Ouch. Paul was brilliant and we will really miss his leadership."

"It will hurt us a lot. Still, we at least have solid cover in John Martin."

"Yes, it would be even worse if we didn't have quality fill-ins."

Montrose (2) East Fife (1)

Montrose- Daniel Talbot 56 John Adam 82

East Fife- Graham Gibson 1

MOM- Jim Weir, Montrose

"That was a match we should have at least split the points in," grumbled Grayling.

"We made some costly mistakes," agreed Gemmell.

"John Dodds continues to disappoint me, but Chibuzor Chilaka also didn't do the job today. There is no way we should be giving up 2 goals from beyond 25 yards."

"It was a bit frustrating to see Chilaka miss heading the free kick away and then Dodds just plain miss Adam's shot."

"I had been considering a new contract offer to Chilaka- it isn't going to happen."

Scottish Third Division Table- 20 matches played

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

1- Queen's Park 38 pts (+4)

2- East Fife 36 pts (+22)

3- Berwick 34 pts (+7)

4- Montrose 34 pts (+2)

5- East Stirling 30 pts (+10)

6- Albion Rovers 30 pts (+6)

</pre>

"I transfer listed Chibuzor Chilaka today. The last straw was when he started complaining about Paul Doyle's contract," fumed Grayling.

"Oh, I bet that went over well," smirked Gemmell.

"I was mad. I told him he hadn't done anything to earn his own contract lately- let alone an increase. It got worse from there..."

"Reserves?"

"Yes. I did decide to bring up Lloyd Young to the Senior side- I need him at right wing with Martin."

"Shouldn't be a problem."

"In a bit better news- Iain Vigurs was named Young Player of the Month for December."

"That was an honor well earned."

East Fife (3) Arbroath (3)

East Fife- Graham Gibson 24,44 John Sutton 42

Arbroath- George Snee 10 David Whittle 46,55

"I can't believe we gave them back a draw," steamed Grayling. "A 3-1 halftime lead and we give it back to them!"

"It wasn't our finest hour," sighed Gemmell.

"How many times are our backline players- despite our emphasizing not to do this- going to make weak headers into the center of the pitch. It cost us two goals the same way today- Snee's and Whittle's 1st."

"They are not using good judgement, that is certain. That last goal was bad too- to give up a goal on a corner like that is very frustrating."

"Graham Gibson played great though- otherwise this would have been a loss."

Albion Rovers (1) East Fife (2)

Albion- Mark Stewart 90

East Fife- Stevie Nicholas 46 Graham Gibson 52

MOM- Stevie Nicholas, East Fife

"We do manage to make things interesting," stated Grayling dryly.

Gemmell laughed, "Well, at least we were on the right end of the score when the final whistle sounded."

"With how well we started in the second half, I thought we might blow them out."

"If Danny Black converts that penalty kick, we might well have. When it was saved it gave them a big boost."

"I thought Craig Farr played well- even if they did get the goal to ruin the clean sheet."

"He was solid, and that is all I really am hoping for from him."

East Fife (3) Queen's Park (2)

East Fife- Danny Black 12-P Graham Gibson 29,70

Queen's Park- Richard Bowers 40 Frankie Carroll 60

Redcard- Edwin Pindi, Queen's Park-12

"Whew!" said a clearly relieved Grayling.

"Now *that* was not Craig Farr's finest performance," said Gemmell shaking his head.

"Not one, not two, but three times he gives away goal kicks directly to Queen's Park with them being the only ones around."

"At least he got lucky on the last one, with Carroll unable to control it to get the shot off. Those first two were bad though."

"It was a shame to waste a 2-0 lead and allow them to even the match with only 10 men- that was bad."

"Still, Graham Gibson made a brilliant move to get his brace and 15th goal of the season."

"Yes, and that goal saved us. Do you realize we just moved into 1st place- two points ahead of them and Berwick?"

"Pretty amazing isn't it. Now all we have to keep doing is proving ourselves."

kj89- not sure what you were trying to add with your comment...

Berwick (3) East Fife (2)

Berwick- Chris Bart-Williams 7-P Stephen Manson 16 Steven Notman 39

East Fife- Paul Hampshire 43 Craig O'Reilly 68

MOM- Paul Hampshire, East Fife

"Short-lived stay in 1st," muttered Gemmell.

"We played a good match, with the exception of the goals we gave up," sighed Grayling. "All three goals were just poor choices in our area."

"The penalty call was weak on Christopher Gilligan."

"But that wasn't what killed us. Giving away Manson's goal when we didn't get back after that free kick was painful and then Iain Vigurs rotten clearance right to Notman alone inside the edge of the area was brutal."

"The boys did give their all trying to fight back."

"If John Connolly doesn't play as well as he did, I think we might have won this match. The save he made on Andrew Duffy was just a huge one to keep us from equalizing."

"How bad was the injury to Stevie Nicholas?"

"Broken ribs. He will be out at least a month."

Archived