Football manager is not having it!

Hi,

Tried to play FM for the first time in a while.

However, i load it up, and just before it gets to te introductory screen, it minimises, and says:

"XML parsing error,.............fault with last game save or something.

I know from experience that this means i cant play my game save again,so i usually maximise the game again and start a new save.

Not tonight, i cant maximise back to the game, the game appears to have exited, but hasnt.

I tried clicking the desktop icon.

"football manager 2009 is still running" :confused: NO it isn't! It isnt on the taskbar!

So i open task manager and lo and behold, there it is, "FM.exe" is running, try as i might i cant get the game on the screen in any way i have thought of. So i had to end task and restart the computer.

Tried to do it again, same problem, so i went into my SI folder and deleted my game save file, and tried again. No success, i un installed it and deleted any leftover folders, and then reinstalled it, Same problem.

I thought enough is enough, so i did a system restore and tried again.

Same problem again:mad:

Can anyone tell me what on earth is happening?

I can't play the game due to an XML parsing error

If you have a shortcut on your desktop you can do the following:

• Right-click on the FM shortcut.
  • Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
  • In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
    "C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences
  • Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

• If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/
  • If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:
    C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

Have you activated via steam or uniloc steve?

Uniloc.

Dont worry anymore, i sorted it, just deleted the target field and copied and pasted the one from above!

Thanks a lot, panic over!

Sorry i didnt say thank you last night, i got so excited i loaded up straight away and had a 5 hour FM session!

Thanks

Uniloc.

Dont worry anymore, i sorted it, just deleted the target field and copied and pasted the one from above!

Thanks a lot, panic over!

Sorry i didnt say thank you last night, i got so excited i loaded up straight away and had a 5 hour FM session!

Thanks

So basically what your saying is you typed it in wrong:p

Also you could have searched its been covered many many many times before :D

So basically what your saying is you typed it in wrong:p

Also you could have searched its been covered many many many times before :D

Yes, that would be the general explanation to the mistake i made;)

And sorry for not searching, i was just so angered that i didnt care.

Thanks for the help guys!

Archived