Youth

Guest josh9393

Guest josh9393

I want to be able to take young players and train them so that they will be of a good enough quality to be in the first team one day. I have no idea how to ensure that they will mature well and become good players. Does anyone have a guide of how to create a good youth setup and prospects? Thanks a lot.

Starting with a club with a good youth academy would be the best way along with employing coaches with high "working with youngsters" attributes. Also ensure you are loaning the young players out to decent teams for first team experience. Also have a look at the good signings thread for wonderkids names, there are a few that don't cost the earth.

I have jut got promotion to Championship. i bought a few youngsters from Leeds, like Elliott and Chambers, also bought a scottish midfielder called Gary Wilson, these are all now out on loan at league one clubs. Along with Mitchell and Madine who came through youth team. Madine has scored 4 goal in 2 matches for Leyton Orient.

With an English structure:

Up to 18 years old: They play in the U-18s.

18-21: They are loan-listed (don't forget to add in the 'able to be recalled' stipulation and make sure the club says they'll play them, not have them as back-up), but only loan to clubs who have at least the same level of training facilities as you and good enough coaches.

If the player has spent a year or a good amount training at your club with the reserves to the point he's not really progressing a lot, it won't matter who you loan to (as long as they won't have him just as back-up).

Then when they're 21-going-on-22 the current season, I call them up to the first team squad, unless they're 22 in April or later then I'll give them another season if need be.

Of course, if the player is good enough I just call him up whatever the age.

Archived