My assistant manager is not good with numbers

At the end of last season I signed Luc Nilis as my assistant manager. I had him on a £1,300 per week contract and together we won the treble.

Then Spurs came along and offered Nilis a job as coach. Now, going from assistant manger of the European champions to a job as coach for a club that didn't qualify for Europe seemed like a mistake that no one would be stupid enough to make.

But regardless I wanted to make absolutely sure that he didn't consider leaving, so I offered him a new contract worth ten times his current contract. £15,250 per week.

The next day he signed for Spurs and told me that he found the basic wage offered by me to be unacceptable.

His new contract at Spurs? £1,900 per week.

icon_confused.gif

I hope he doesn't take up a job in accounting next. icon_wink.gif

At the end of last season I signed Luc Nilis as my assistant manager. I had him on a £1,300 per week contract and together we won the treble.

Then Spurs came along and offered Nilis a job as coach. Now, going from assistant manger of the European champions to a job as coach for a club that didn't qualify for Europe seemed like a mistake that no one would be stupid enough to make.

But regardless I wanted to make absolutely sure that he didn't consider leaving, so I offered him a new contract worth ten times his current contract. £15,250 per week.

The next day he signed for Spurs and told me that he found the basic wage offered by me to be unacceptable.

His new contract at Spurs? £1,900 per week.

icon_confused.gif

I hope he doesn't take up a job in accounting next. icon_wink.gif

What are/were his job preference bars like. It may have been that he didn't want to be an assistant manager, and despite the lure of a lucrative contract, he was much more contented to go back to just coaching. Had you offered him a contract as a merely a coach, you might have had much more of a chance of keeping him.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Geoff Newman:

What are/were his job preference bars like. It may have been that he didn't want to be an assistant manager, and despite the lure of a lucrative contract, he was much more contented to go back to just coaching. Had you offered him a contract as a merely a coach, you might have had much more of a chance of keeping him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The coach bar is one notch above assistant manager, so I don't think that's enough to make a 13k per week difference icon_wink.gif

That said I do think it's got to do with the roles at the club. It's probably some weird logic that says £1,900 per week is good for a coach whereas £15,250 per week for an assistant manager isn't great.

But I still think it's funny that he turned me down because the basic wage was "unacceptable".

Archived