Can you ask Board to reconsider max wage per player?

I have recently won promotion to League 2 with Hyde. My budget is ~$750k annually with only about ~$150k of that committed to existing players on my team.

Despite having such a small wage bill, the board has restricted me to $77k in max salary that i can offer to a key player. Now i have 3 strikers that i want (and importantly are willing to come play for me at a reasonable price) but all 3 want wages in $80k - 85k range.

Is there anyway i can get the board to increase the wage limit?

Akaz

Not that I know of, I had a similar problem and managed to get the player to sign eventually by offering a large® sign on fee and upping the apperance fee!! ( He was described as "At Any Cost")!!

I tried transfering money from the Transfer budget but it doesnt increase the max limit afaik

I do wish that that was a conversation we could have with the Board. It seems like a valid Board Request: "Allow a higher maximum wage to sign this player", as well as "Allow a higher wage budget to sign this player".

Lacking that, however, there's a couple things you can do.

First, try offering them the maximum you can. I've found that players are often willing to accept, if the wage is very close to what they're asking for, as in the example you've given.

If they don't, try raising the signing bonus, appearance fee, or in the case of strikers, the bonus for scoring a goal. Additional bits there should make the contract acceptable.

Failing that, adding a Minimum Fee Release Clause usually helps a *LOT*, as long as you choose a reasonable value. The player will be less concerned about committing to a contract that he knows he can get out of.

You may also find that the "maximum wage allowed" increases as you sign players to larger contracts. For example, if your current maximum wage is 50, and you're now allowed 77, you may find that after signing one player to a 77 contract, you may be allowed to offer 90 to the next player.

Also, the players demands vacillate over time, as does the maximum you are allowed to offer. I had a player I desperately needed to re-sign, and over the course of a year saw his demands fluctuate from 2.1M p/a to 1.5M, while the amount I could offer fluctuated from 1.2M to 1.6M. As you might guess, I did eventually find them overlapping at the same time, and immediately signed him. :D

I think that is a really good suggestion!! Stuff Budjet adjustment, excuse me mr chairman but this guy could win us the league, can I have some money to pay him what he wants!!

I find it hard to believe this conversation doesnt go on at clubs around the world IRL!

I may look at the release fee clause in Jan if (when) I have to buy a new striker for my championship team!!!

Also, in previous versions, if you gave one of your current players a wage at the very top of what was allowed (one of the key players in your current squad) the board will often allow you to sign a player on 10K+ over the current highest wage.

Havent had to try this in 09, but it worked in 08.

Also, in previous versions, if you gave one of your current players a wage at the very top of what was allowed (one of the key players in your current squad) the board will often allow you to sign a player on 10K+ over the current highest wage.

Havent had to try this in 09, but it worked in 08.

None of my current players deserve that big a contract. But interesting suggestion none the less. I do have a potential player signing that i am low balling but could justify the max. I will offer him the max and see if that affects anything.

Akaz

PS. I really hate that your reputation doesnt go up moment after you get promoted. I got promoted in mid May but i couldnt sign anyone useful (due to low reputation) till late June. Given that, ideally i would like my team in place for the first Friendly (usually in mid-July) that essentially gives me 3 weeks to get my team up and running instead of 9 weeks i would probably have IRL.

PPS. ALso not being able to give players deadline on offered contract sucks. Because i get stuck offering contract to players that may (in many cases) not accept whats offered. I could end up on First of Aug with just half of my first eleven in place. :(

Maidel's idea works sometimes in 09. It worked everytime in 08 but not in 09, sometimes it doesn't but worth a try. When I run into this problem in 09 I've been able to get players to take a little less by giving them a slightly bigger signing bonus and a yearly wage rise (if you'll be able to afford it).

Well thanks for all the suggestions. It kinda worked. My max wage went from 77k to 79k :p

That said, i definitely had to overpay to get the player. I still lost out on all 3 strikers but was able to get some other players but paying them 10-20% more than they were asking.

One thing i did notice was that once i started signing some of these players up, i was getting more players willing to come play for me. Was it a coincidence or does adding players with certain reputation adds to clubs reputation?

Archived