World class rep, managing lower division.

If you have a world class reputation and having swept all before, you you get fed up, resign and take a job at the lowest league you can find. Does having the reputation help you sign better players, or get more cash from the board?

Not tried it, but I'm getting bored and could do with a challenge / some excitement :eek:

I would guess that the board would be more likely to trust you with the cash if they have it in the bank, but if the club is broke (as many lower league clubs are) then I would imagine no amount of world class reputation can help you in that department. That's just a total guess though :)

I've been playing this way, as an ex-international player who decides to start his coaching career in the lower leagues to learn the trade. I don't think it helps the board open up their wallets, that seems to be purely based on the financial numbers. It seems I can bring in really good players, but I've yet to manage with a low reputation to compare it against. One thing you definitely get is absurd job offers after you finish your first year - I had Liverpool approach me after one year of coaching Weymouth in the Blue Square Premier.

If you have a world class reputation and having swept all before, you you get fed up, resign and take a job at the lowest league you can find. Does having the reputation help you sign better players, or get more cash from the board?

Not tried it, but I'm getting bored and could do with a challenge / some excitement :eek:

I have done this once. If you have an obscure reputation as a manager, you will have fewer players interested in joining your squad. With a world class reputation, you earn a higher wage for yourself as well as attract much better players. The club's finances are dependent upon what they have available, but the board does expect you to turn improve results much faster and are dissatisfied with mediocre standings regardless of the finances you're offered to work with in your wage budget.

I once did this on fm 08 after earning a world class reputation over the course of a fair few seasons and then went to manage either a championship or league 1 team (can't remember exactly which) and soon after the move my reputation swiftly dropped from World Class to National.

I am assuming it is still the same in FM 09 but it is one thing that annoys me, you could spend many in game years increasing your reputation but as soon as you go to a club with a lower reputation, your reputation goes with you. I agree if a person spends a lng period of time managing a lower rep club then his reputation should start to decrease slowly (much slower than it had) but not within the first season.

Archived