Not prepaired to drop down divisions.

Apologies if I missed it in my search but I have a problem with signing players from the division above. I understand that not many players will be willing to drop down a division but when offering a bosman contract to a player why don't they take into account the fact that you've already won the league your in and will be playing in the division that they are currently playing in next season? Is there anything I can do to sign these players? If not is there any chance of this issue being addressed in the next patch?

I'm playing FM2009 with the current patch.

When offering a bosman contract to a player why don't they take into account the fact that you've already won the league your in and will be playing in the division that they are currently playing in next season? Is there anything I can do to sign these players? If not is there any chance of this issue being addressed in the next patch?

I'm playing FM2009 with the current patch.

1. No, they don't take into account next season's division, because they have not been programmed with that much depth.

2. Offering them a better contract than they are asking for may turn the trick for some few - basically think of "drop a division" as being worth minus some number of points in their evaluation of your contract offer, while signing bonus, weekly wage, and the various clauses will be worth plus some number of points. You need to give them enough pluses to overcome the division-drop, which you will be able to do for greedy players, but not for ambitious players.

3. Given that the issue existed in FM'05, FM'06, FM'07, and FM'08, I doubt that it will be addressed in an FM'09 patch.

Would you want to go to West Brom if you're an ambitious player whose played on winning squads in the past?

If its a choice between Man U and West Brom then I think I would pick West Brom. If I'm a good player then at least I would get a game at West Brom. Look at Carlos Tevez at Man U. Four goals in his previous match and still only a place on the bench.

Anyway thanks for your thoughts and help lads.

• 2 months later...

What about if you get promoted from the CCC and try and buy a player from a team that has just been relegated from the PL, before your new season in the PL starts? Even tho you have been promoted, the player will not want to 'drop' a division. Which is a bit crazy, if he stays with the relegated team then he'll be in the CCC instead of with your side in the PL.

I would have thought that this would be a quite easy and neccessary fix to do.

Archived