Two Comps, Same Game

I have fm installed on both my computer and laptop.

Started a game with Havan and Waterlooville on the comp.

Trying to play it on the laptop now, when I go to load the game it says cant get database.

I know the problem is I didnt start the game with the default database, I am using one I created.

Is there anyway round this problem so I can play my game on my laptop?

Yeah I've put the database in the db folder in documents/sports interactive

But when i click load game and select Havant it just says cant load databse.

Does the fact I've changed from XP to Vista matter?

Try putting it in the updates/9.10/db folder. That is where the game looks after patching.

You able to explain the dropbox way?

Cheers for the help btw

To use Dropbox, you'd need to sign up for dropbox (google it), install it on both computers, move everything from the Sports Interactive folder in your documents folder there, then tell both games to use the dropbox folder, the setting is in preferences in the game itself.

-do i move the contents of my Spor Interctive folder accros from both my laptop and my desktop into dropbox? Or just from one or the other?

-how does FM know to look in dropbox for the editted database? (i can see how you can set it to look there for temporary files or saves?

thanks - am still stuck but here's a least a glimmer of hope....

i figured it out - you don't need dropbox...

but you do need to make sure you have exactly same file address on both computers:

Hi folks,

this is going to sound really simple....

over the past few years i've seen loads of posts along the lines of "how do i get fm to run on both my desktop & laptop? it doesn't work and gives me some error about not having the right database when i transfer saved games from one machine to another".... Especially common with folks who edit the database.

usually people get advised to transfer the database over as well...

for many people this doesn't seem to work - those with different operating systems on the two computers

the answer to anyone daft enough not to realise it (like me - it's taken me ages to work this out - i'm such a fool.........) is...

...your saved game/database directory must have exactly the same address on both comps.

Diff versions of Windows save FM slightly differently.

All you need to do is open up your saved game on one machine. Go into preferences. Look at the file address at the top. Then on other machine create a set of folders to mirror this exactly and copy anything you want to be able to use - editted database, graphic changes, saved games into here.

Do the same on the other comp in reverse.

(Or fiddle with in game settings to see if you can make both exactly the same)

This will work with historic saved games.

99.9% of people reading this will think "duh - obviously" or won't care but there are a few odd peeps out there this is going to make very happy :)

Sorry for the late reply. No, you don't need dropbox, as explained above. But dropbox does all the moving work for you, and every time you save the game, it will be updated on every computer you've got dropbox on.

-do i move the contents of my Spor Interctive folder accros from both my laptop and my desktop into dropbox? Or just from one or the other?

0. Install Dropbox on both computers. Try it out, put a small file in the dropbox on one computer and it'll magically appear on the other pc.

i. On the computer you most recently saved the game on, you put the Sports Interactive folder from the My Documents folder into your new shiney Dropbox folder.

ii. Start FM on that computer. Open preferences, and change the data folder path to point to the data folder which is now in your dropbox folder. Close FM on this computer.

iii. Start FM on the other computer. Change the data folder path in the same way, pointing to the shared Dropbox files.

iv. Try to load the save game on this computer now. If you've done everything right, it should load fine!

-how does FM know to look in dropbox for the editted database? (i can see how you can set it to look there for temporary files or saves?

as I said, it's in the preferences settings in FM itself.
- also do you know if i can do this retrospectively for a game i've already started with an editted database on my desktop? rather than having to start again?

any hlp much appreciated....

If you set up everything right, it'll seem as though your FM is exactly the same on both PCs.

As an aside, here's hoping SI use the built in functionality to do this sort of thing with very little work in Steam Cloud next year.

• 2 weeks later...

hey, i managed to get it working after i read what mr. Mikey (Thx man!) here's what i did:

I used to play fm on Windows XP and then i reinstalled windows.

The Sports Interactive Folder used to be in

c:\documents and settings\Dorf\my documents\sports interactive

now after reinstalation it was created on

c:\documents and settings\admin\my documents\sports interactive

so what i did was to create a folder on the same location as the initial was and from the in-game settings i selected that the one under 'Dorf' was going to be the main folder for the game to save files. So now i have copied the save game info to c:\documents and settings\Dorf\my documents\sports interactive instead of admin account. and you don't have to create another user or anything, just simply create a folder.

now it works again. so the thing is guys you have to create the database in the same location as it was when u created the game. then it should work!

Guest Dat_Phenom_Hleb13

^I'd assume that would work only if you were moving between XP's?

I'm getting the same message as the topic starter. My original destination for the db and save games on my XP laptop was: c:\documents and settings\XP User\my documents\sports interactive

Now Vista doesnt have "documents and settings" so I cant make the exact path as the XP laptop.

I havent played this save game for a month due to Uni, and ive been looking forward to playing it again :(

Archived