Moff's Trident - Severing the defensive line.

Ok, i say its back but it never really went anywhere.

For the few of you who downloaded my original trident for 08, you may recognise this.

Anyway, basically i've created a tactic that seems to be working really well. It's called the trident (even though it looks like a spear) because it offers 3 waves of attack. I'll post a screen shot of the formation and talk about the needs of each position bellow

7322Trident-V1.jpgImage Hosting

Striker - Needs to be quick, have good first touch, finishing, off the ball and passing - this guy will be your target man with balls played to feet

AMC (left) - needs to basically be a striker, pace and finishing are essential for this guy, passing and long shots aren't too bad either

AMC (right) - This guy needs good creativity, passing and a bit of pace wouldn't hurt too much - this guy is your playmaker

ML & MR - good solid wingers needed here, high crossing, passing, off the ball and tackling (sp?) are essential here

MC - Defensive mid needed here, tackling, work rate, stamina etc. and a good passing attribute is always helpful

DL & DR - Defensive attributes are a must here, don't worry too much about attacking attributes, but crossing is always nice.

DC's - they have to be quick, good at marking and tall (oh, tackling helps too)

Download link - http://rapidshare.com/files/162791902/Moff_s_Trident_09_V1__Man_City__Sep_2008_.tac.html

Please note - this is not a wonderous tactic like KIMZ (the God that is) - i can't guarentee that this will let you score in double figures. Its a solid tactic both aggressively and defensively with a good Shot/Shots on target ratio and it doesn't conceed too shabilly. If you have any tweaks to make or questions please let me know, and try this out!

The tactic looks good but please get ride of Hugo Viana if you want to achieve anytihing.

Ha, let me explain that - all my attacking mids, Robino, Pandev, Elano and dearest Matias Fernandes, have been dropping like flies, so i've needed to play my back up players. Viana's not a bad player so i don't know what you're chatting about.

Anyway, here's the new link http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=e282502ba5dff845d2db6fb9a8902bda :)

ok, after a few games: am lovin' it

great goals with crosses from the wingers, usually scored by the other winger and lovely play.

I found a bit of a gap between the DCs and the rest of the team, will do some adjustments having them a bit more attacking mentality. Also I noticed a few players (wingers, AMC) have higher mentality than closing down, which has been discussed in another thread.

Haven't played any top sides yet, so I am not judging the defense yet. The target man usually gets pretty low rating though, and I tried most of the suitable ManU players for that position.

ok, after a few games: am lovin' it

great goals with crosses from the wingers, usually scored by the other winger and lovely play.

I found a bit of a gap between the DCs and the rest of the team, will do some adjustments having them a bit more attacking mentality. Also I noticed a few players (wingers, AMC) have higher mentality than closing down, which has been discussed in another thread.

Haven't played any top sides yet, so I am not judging the defense yet. The target man usually gets pretty low rating though, and I tried most of the suitable ManU players for that position.

Glad you're having such good results with it!

i just threw in the target man option as a means to keeping the ball on the ground, so taking it out probably won't be such a bad thing. Let me know if you're tweaking makes it even better, happy playing!

hmm, made some adjustments, lost community shield, tied against portsmouth and lost at home against newcastle 0-4!!! I guess I will have to make a different approach ;) every other shot was a goal, even so teh game was even. disastrous, I should resign really..

will mention my changes soon, so they can be avoided / analyzed

Error

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

Well after the most disastrous start for me in a Football Manager game ever I decided to give this a try as it is pretty much the same formation as I was playing but I couldn't get it to work. Which is kind of embarresing really as I am using Manchester United. Never had this problem before, is it just me or is it harder to play good football and score?

I have made some tweaks to it and played two games, 1-0 against Manchester City and 3-0 against Fulham. It is looking promising, I will let you know how it continues.

luca: what tweaks did you make?

I tweaked:

DCs 4 more mentality

DR/L 2 more mentality

MC 1 more mentality

no target man

forward runs for wingers

higher closing down on individual settings, so they match mentality setting

I am now going back to the original settings and tweak from there again. even so my playmaker has been doing pretty well, I am considering giving both my AMCs a free role and remove the playmaker (unless I decide to give one of them both... but it would require a once in a lifetime player to do that well I think)

I am still perfecting it before I post up here my version of it. I started a new game as I thought that considering how bad I had done before putting this tactic in place the morale of the team may be affecting it's performance.

I will let you know what happens shortly.

used the original minus target man with a bit more success now.

but the comebacks of teams seem much better these days... what do you guys do, if you are e.g. 2-0 up at halftime? happens a lot that I tie those games. all in all, defense doesn't seem too good with the current settings. considering dropping the man marking, even so with ferdindand/vidic I should have good enough players for that.

Archived