Friends Reunited

This is just a joint story between me and Lukaboi before FMH2009 comes out. Hope you enjoy!

Laying in bed, I could hear the rain pelting down against the window panes. It was a typical cold, wet night in London. The dismal conditions meant I couldn't sleep. I got up and walked around my flat, trying to make myself tired but to no avail. In the end, I gave up and turned on the fairly big T.V. I had bought with my compensation money. Great, I thought, another sleepless night. I'd had many of these in the last few years since my accident.

It was the sort of accident you wouldn't wish on anyone. A career ending tackle which did just that, ended my career and left me in constant pain night after night. There was a solution to the pain but it was expensive, I had no job which effectively left me broke. The compensation money I had received was nowhere near enough for me to get my life back on track.

The Sun broke through the curtains and the birds were singing but it was anything but a picturesque morning. I'd had enough of the daily grind, I wanted to move to Portugal... My family had moved out there when I went to University to study for a Football Coaching Degree with my best friend James Fenton. We went to school together, spent our years in College studying Football to be Football Managers. At 38, I was convinced I hadn't made it. Maybe he had but I hadn't heard from him since the year after Uni.

With that thought, I decided I'd ring him and see how he was getting on. Scrolling through my contacts on my mobile, I'd hoped he had the same number as 10 years ago. Highly unlikely, I gave it a ring. The recorded voice of a lady on the other end confirmed that the number was no longer in use. I felt a bit of regret losing contact with him. I went out to the supermarket to but yet another weeks worth of microwave meals for one. Whilst in the supermarket, I wondered aimlessly around the aisles until I heard a woman finish her conversation on her mobile.

“OK, James, I'll make sure I get some Spaghetti for you! Yes, I love you too. Bye.”

And with that, she hung up. Surely, it couldn't be... Could it? Spaghetti Bolognese was James' favourite meal. It took some courage for me to approach the woman but I did.

“Excuse me, I didn't mean to overhear your conversation but you were talking about Spaghetti to James, right?”

She looked bewildered.

“Er... Yes, I was... Why?”

“James Fenton?”

Another look of bewilderment.

“Yes, do you know him?

My luck was in. I took one look at the woman. James had done well for himself!

“My name is Rui. Rui Fortes. I've known James since we were little. We went to school, College and Uni together.”

“Nice to meet you, Rui.”

She relaxed somewhat.

“I've heard a lot about you. James was just saying he should get in touch with you but wasn't sure how.”

“Wow... Great minds, eh! I was just trying to contact him this morning!”

“Well, why don't you come back to the house with me and you two can catch up. I'm guessing there is a lot to talk about!”

And before I knew it, we had pulled up outside a big house in a posh part of London. He really had done well for himself!

As the woman, who I'd found out was called Louise, walked into the Lounge, James was just finishing a phone call.

“James, look who I bumped into.”

He looked intrigued to know and at that moment I stepped into the room.

“Rui! Well, well! How are you mate? It's been a while, hasn't it!”

We shook hands like we'd never been away from each other for 10 years.

“I'm good James, you? It's been too long!”

“Oh, you know, getting by!”

He was always the joker. Getting by? He was cruising by more like!

“I've just had a phone call. From Newcastle United.”

Over the course of the next few hours we talked about what we'd both been up to for the past decade. I explained I had a succession of jobs at small clubs in London, coaching the Youth Academies. With that, he told me he'd worked as assistant at Charlton, Fulham and now Spurs. He had done a damn site better than me! The phone call from Newcastle came as a shock to him he told me and they offered him the managers job. Of course, he'd have to talk to the missus about the move but he was 75% certain he'd be moving.

After I said goodbye to James, I went home and thought about my future in Football. It didn't seem to be going anywhere, which depressed me a little. I had a few drinks before the phone rang.

“Hello?”

“Mr Fortes? Mr Rui Fortes?”

“Speaking.”

“This is Ricardo Rego, Chairman of União de Leiria.”

“Hello.”

“Hello Mr Fortes, we'd like you to come to Portugal.”

“In regards to what?”

“We'd like to talk to you about a job that is available”

“OK, when would you like me to come over?”

“We can schedule a meeting for the 30th June, if you can get over for then”

“Of course, what about accomodation? Anywhere you recommend?”

“Leave it to us, you are our guest, Mr Fortes! We shall worry about everything. Just bring yourself”

With that the phone went dead. A job offer? What could they possibly want with me? Do they need a coach? All these questions floated around in my head for a while before I drifted off in front of the T.V..

I arrived in sunny Portugal, it was fresh, breezy... Different to the dismal English weather I was used to. A small, round man was waiting with a sign that read “Mr Fortes”. He was my taxi driver and he was going to take me to the stadium. When I got there, it was hardly Wembley Stadium but a football stadium nonetheless. A slightly taller, thinner man came out to greet me wearing a t-shirt, shorts, sandals and a pair of sunglasses. He introduced himself as Ricardo Rego.

“You wouldn't want to wear that in London!” I bellowed.

“Ha ha, ah, yes, the English weather... Not so good?”

I was astounded at how good his English was. He ushered me into a small office under one of the stands. Still puzzled at why I was here, I piped up.

“What was this job you wanted here for exactly?”

“Well, we need someone with a great knowledge of football...”

I sat there nodding and trying not to be distracted by his wildly flailing arms.

“...Someone who can bring a wealth of managerial experience to the club”

Managerial experience? Do they want me to be a manager? What experience do I have apart from youth teams, I thought.

“My scouts have seen you in action in England at the Youth Academy. Your work is fantastic. I am now formally offering you the position of Manager of this club...”

Mr Rego slid a document headed with my name across to my side of the desk.

“...All I need is your signature.”

Archived