Tutoring Screen

Amaroq

I've recently started a new game in FM'08, and I was thinking about one of the initial things which I do, which winds up being fairly time consuming: setting up tutoring.

Does it make sense to have a screen which collates the data I'd be using, for ease-of-use in this genre?

I think so - which leads to a second question: what things would we want on such a screen?

I've been kicking that around in the back of my mind today, and here's what I've come up with:

Name

Position - (Natural position, not just where can he play)

Tutor status - (Can be tutored, can tutor, currently tutoring X, currently being tutored by Y)

PPMs

Mental attributes - (determination, composure, etc)

Scout recommendation (potential, for the youngster)

Good relationships - (e.g., if idolizes or is friends with an older player)

Recommended relationships - (e.g., if a scout recommends you have him tutor X, or learn from Y)

All told, that doesn't quite fit on a screen - but I find myself scrolling through so many different screens to try to tally this information for all of my players prior to deciding on my first Player Interaction. Name, age, position I can get easily enough, but PPMs requires visiting the Position screen for each player, Mental attributes is either the Attributes screen or a different squad view, and finding the relationships, potential, and recommendations requires a lot more views of different screens.

Its turned out to be a ton of mouse-clicks just to get the data, and the "Notes" function isn't really suited for collating information in-game like that.

Would people find a screen like that useful?

What items would you have on it?

Would it not be a better idea to have the option to bring in the columns you want when looking at your squad? e.g like you want player name, goals, appearances, assists, morale, natural position, av. rating, scout recomendations, etc you get the point. Basically if we could choose which columns of info we wanted to view then we can just customise it ourselves.

Might be difficult with PPMs though especially as some players have so many!

:D @ Terry.

PGB_SPURS_FM09, I think I tend to be a power-user, so the feature that you've just described - a screen customizer! - is brilliant. I love the "home page", and hope it gets more options, plus the ability to put more things in both the wide column and the narrow column.

I was hesitant to ask for that on the squad screen, though, as I expect it would be a major rewrite to handle .. while what I'm asking for seems similar enough to what exists that I think it is achievable. I'm also not sure how much the average "casual" fan would get out of it, so there's a question about how valuable it is in terms of SI's time.

I agree with you re: PPM's, I'm not sure how to represent them for the players who have eight or so ... what I'm looking for tends to be "Young player X has 2 positive PPM's. Which veteran player has the most positive PPM's which X does not already have." ... even something as simple as "4 positive PPM's, 1 negative PPM" would be a help here. (It would also be a help when looking at shortlisted players).

Archived