Tackling some serious database issues

I saw the announcement videos and I have to say that like most of the fans here, I'm overwhelmed with enthusiasm :-)

The new features look great, the 3D match engine is a fantasy come true, and what's left of my football-geek social life will probably be wiped away by this new game !

However ... there's still a little something that bothers me : some disturbing inaccuracies.

Don't get me wrong, I know how hard you guys work to get a database that's as huge and as close to the real thing as possible, but the mistakes I'm talking about here are not just about hardcore perfectionnism.

It's about some players who just happen to have the wrong citizenship !

I'm thinking about Christopher Samba, for instance. In FM 08, he had Congo DR citizenship... but he's from the other Congo ! The Brazzaville one - the one that was actually a french colony.

Many other young players from french clubs youth teams who hold dual citizenship had this issue too.

Now, I may be one of the only guys out there giving a crap about this (apart from Congolese FM Players), but I think it's important enough.

Another issue was with some Belgian clubs, who didn't have their names updated for the FRENCH language version of the game.

RFC Seresien is still called Seraing RUL in French, and FCV Dender is still Denderleeuw !

Some clubs have changed their name yet again this year (like Francs Borains, who became the Royal Boussu Dour Borinage - yup, that's the real name). And some had minor inaccuracies, like La Louvière (RAAL stands for Royale Association Athlétique Louviéroise, when the club's full name in FM 08 is Royale Association Athlétique La Louviéroise... there's a mistake here).

So, some of you might be thinking "damn, who's that guy and why does he bother us with such stupid details ?"

Well, they're details, but they matter to football purists... and they make a difference between a near-perfect release and a "damn, guess it's edit-before-play again..." :-)

Archived