Valuing young players

I am playing as Bury (in Season 4 now) in league 1.

I signed a latin american young GK at the start of the season to a two year contract have now suddenly 5-6 championship league teams made bids or enq for him. I tried to lock him up long term but he refuses to talk say no interest in staying with club beyond current contract.

My question is, how do i maximize his value to my club? The offers i have received are pitifully low (usually in range of ~200k). As i see it, my options are as follows:

1. I still have 1.5 seasons to go on the contract, and i can hope that he changes his mind and decides to resign.

2. I can let the contract expire and make an offer equal to his current one and then no other club can take him without compensation to me (as he is but:

2.a: How do you calculate the compensation in this case?

2.b: Does rule apply to non-English clubs or they get him for free?

3. Trade him now.

4. Trade him in summer

5. Trade him during next season

For option 3, 4 and 5, the key factor will be when will his value in the market be maximum. As a young player, the longer that i hang on to him the more he develops (i have a level 20 GK coach). But longer i hang on to him, the shorter his contract length which may also impact his value negatively. Finally, he may get injured or loose form leading to lower value. So which time would work best?

Finally, if i decide to trade him, how do i figure out his value? trial an error? start with a high number and keep dropping it till some one bites?

Akaz

Regarding point 2.

IIRC you need to actually make him the contract offer before it runs out, i think its a month before or he will walk away for nothing. You cannot wait till it expires then offer equal or more and expect a fee.

Non English clubs get him for free iirc, although im not sure on that one.

Personally id be whoring him around for a slightly inflated fee, but with £0k up front. Example in my current save with Blyth in League 2.

Brazillian GK worth £100k with 1 season left on contract, wont negotiate.

Offer him to clubs for £0k

£500k over 24 months

30-40% sell on clause.

Sold him right away without messing about and have £500k coming in over 2 years rather than £100-150k coming in one payment.

His value state in his profile is around $300k. But that is low. I dont know how FM calculates player value but i have found that it fluctuates a lot and sometimes it just doesnt make sense.

I have sold player that are no where as good or as important to my team for ~$600k to ~$1M including clauses (usually min league appearances + sell on clauses).

As for finding another player of this caliber. It is going to be tough as i got lucky with this one (scouted him at world cup, signed him right away). My club does not allow scouting outside GB plus i have been unable to get a work permit feeder club (board agrees but then can not find any club that fits the bill??!!!). So that usually means over priced domestic GKs. or multiple WP rejections and a long ardous process. :(

Akaz

If you are playing him regularly and he performs well then his value should increase accordingly. I remember I was playing in Scotland once and signed a left back for 300k after quite a few good performances (8 rating in most matches) his value quickly rose to 1m. I might be wrong but I think his value may increase quite a bit if you are promoted. If you are promoted he probably will accept a new contract if not then after promotion may be the best time to sell him.

He just handed in his transfer request. :( i turned him down but its obvious its time for him to move on. I have not been able to find out a replacement as good as him but i think i will have to move him regardless.

Also i check his age again and he is 24 now and will be 25 when contract expires so i am screwed anyways :(

Archived