Anyone had problems competing in cup competitions?

I've managed Newcastle and Aldershot over a few seasons each (I'm going back to Newcastle soon) and now I'm at Brentford, and when it comes to cup competitions (FA Cup, League Cup, JPT etc) I really struggle to get past the first round (or the second round if I'm lucky). This is despite often playing opposition from lower divisions, and despite having good form in the league. I know that cup matches are famously very different from league matches, and that's why you get upsets, but it seems like more than that. Almost like the game has decided that not only does league form go out the window, but so does everything else. Obviously I try changing the system during the match depending on what it happening, but nothing seems to work. Does anyone else get this happening a lot?

that happens to me as well maybe just natural that your team plays better in the league than the cups

Yeah but with three different teams? Although I sometimes did a little bit better with Newcastle, so maybe it was more of a lower league thing. Too many times though I've comfortably lost to a team two divisions below me, as if they were leaders in my division.

its never happened to me, i win cups quite regularly even when fielding my fringe players, maybe its you tactics that you are using or are you fielding an understrength squad?

No I always field a full-strength squad...mainly because I really want to win a cup! And my tactics are usually doing very well for me at the same time in the league. Apart from winning league titles I haven't won a cup since winning the UEFA Cup with Newcastle back in the original FMH. Maybe I've just been incredibly unlucky.

what tactics are you using?

Well they change from club to club, although I must admit I do like an attacking "score more goals than the opposition" team.

I often go with 4-3-3 with an Attacking mentality and Direct passing, as I did at Newcastle. No Premiership title yet or cups but lots of Champions League and Premiership 2nd and 3rd.

Then I did the same tactics with Aldershot, and got promotion from BSP to Division 2 then straight up to Division 1, then got totally destroyed and was relegated back down to Division 2. Again, no cups won, and lots of going out in the 1st or 2nd round.

When I took over at Brentford it was 4-4-2. I got promoted to Division 1 and we were losing a lot, so I switched to 3-5-2 Defensive, then 3-5-2 Attacking, the idea being that we were always going to concede goals in Division 1, so we might as well try and score more than the opposition rather than defending all match and still losing 1-0. So far it seems to be working in the league, but we played BSP Exeter and lost to them in the 1st round of the FA Cup, having already gone out of the other two cups in the first round.

Hm, not really for me. I've managed Luton and have won JPT for 2 consecutive seasons, but as for League Throphy and FA cup, it's another story I guess. The furthest i've been for FA cup is 4th round, before losing to Tottenham and for League throphy it's 3rd round.. wierd, considering that FA cup is the more superior throphy. lol.

*forgot include that im using jambo dave's tactic.. which I guess might be the reason why i won the throphy in 2 consecutive seasons lol.

Hm, not really for me. I've managed Luton and have won JPT for 2 consecutive seasons, but as for League Throphy and FA cup, it's another story I guess. The furthest i've been for FA cup is 4th round, before losing to Tottenham and for League throphy it's 3rd round.. wierd, considering that FA cup is the more superior throphy. lol.

*forgot include that im using jambo dave's tactic.. which I guess might be the reason why i won the throphy in 2 consecutive seasons lol.

Yeah I use my own tactics, although I don't change individual player tactics much, having done it before and not really seen much difference in performances.

Archived