Played in Euro VASE: Eligible for Champions League?

Nice. Signed him and was able to get him to play in CL!

What if he'd already played in the UEFA Cup that season? he'd still be fine to play in the Champions League yes?

Nope. Just signed Aguero, who has played 1 Euro Cup Qualifying game with Athletico, thinking that it would work like with RVDV, but no. :(

What if he'd already played in the UEFA Cup that season? he'd still be fine to play in the Champions League yes?

Yeah but I think there is a rule in reality but don't know if it is in game, that one player can but if you bought more than one player and both played in the UEFA Cup that season only one can play in the Champions league that season. The rule is something like that.

Just saw hitmann's post but in reality that is not true as Anelka played for Bolton in UEFA cup and Chelsea in the Champions League last season.

The first player had already played in the Intertoto Cup though (a completely different competition) and not the UEFA Cup.

No, I mean if you sign two players (not sure if the rule is two or three) who both played in the UEFA Cup that season you can only register one to play in the Champions League. The rule is something like that in reality. Heard it when Chelsea signed Anelka.

Anelka played for Bolton in UEFA cup and Chelsea in the Champions League last season.

If that's true which I think it is (I'll take your word for it) then we've discovered a bug in the game then.

I just checked and it is indeed true, I'll post about this in the Bugs forum.

Here is the official ruling:

Excluding the three rounds of the UEFA Intertoto Cup and the UEFA Super Cup, and subject to paragraph 17.18 below, a player may not play UEFAclub competition matches for more than one competing club in the course of the same season. A substitute player who is not fielded is entitled to play for another club competing in the same season’s UEFA club competitions, provided that he is registered with the UEFA administration in accordance with the present Regulations.

One player from the above quota of three who has played UEFA club competition matches for another competing club in the current season may exceptionally be registered, provided that the player has not been fielded:

− in the same competition for another club

− for another club that is currently in the same competition.

Furthermore, if the player’s new club is playing in the UEFA Cup, his former club must not have played in the UEFA Cup at any point in the current season.

Here is the official ruling:

Excluding the three rounds of the UEFA Intertoto Cup and the UEFA Super Cup, and subject to paragraph 17.18 below, a player may not play UEFAclub competition matches for more than one competing club in the course of the same season. A substitute player who is not fielded is entitled to play for another club competing in the same season’s UEFA club competitions, provided that he is registered with the UEFA administration in accordance with the present Regulations.

For all matches from the start of the first knockout round, a club may register a maximum of three new eligible players for the remaining matches in the current competition. Such registration must be completed by 1 February 2009 at the latest. This deadline cannot be extended.

One player from the above quota of three who has played UEFA club competition matches for another competing club in the current season may exceptionally be registered, provided that the player has not been fielded:

− in the same competition for another club

− for another club that is currently in the same competition.

Furthermore, if the player’s new club is playing in the UEFA Cup, his former club must not have played in the UEFA Cup at any point in the current season.

Sorry forgot a bit so obviously it is a bug.

Yeah, I saw it. I think I get the jist of the rule. It means if a player plays in the UEFA Cup that season he can play in Champions League as he can be registered in Feruary but the club can only register one player that had played in the UEFA Cup that season. So for example last season if Chelsea bought Anelka and another player who appeared in the UEFA Cup that season they could only register one so only one could play.

I have just realised though I think if you play in the UEFA Cup then you can only play in Champions League after the February registration so maybe it is not a bug as if you sign a player that has played in the qualifying rounds of the UEFA Cup for someone I so not think he is eligible until after January. It is complicated so I am not too sure, though.

Archived