My grip

Hey all, just got 08 a couple weeks ago and i am enjoying it for the most apart.

But its sad to me to see some of the same problems that i had with 06 are still alive and well in 08. First off, the regens are trash. i know we have a million threads about them but it seriously kills the long term game. I remember this was a problem in 06 and its still not fixed? that is VERY disappointing to me :( I enough super long term games and by the time 2020 rolls around the game will be filled with crappy players with HUGE weaknesses in their game(usually athleticism).

Other problems are inflation (everyone costs 20-30+ million), the effects of morale and game talks is simply ridiculous. I spank Man U 3-1 at home and then go draw Charlton on the road because my 'game talk' wasn't good enough?

But all those aside... the most annoying part of the game to me is the super goalies. It's obviously an AI cheat to help improve the AI's chance of winning. There is no way anyone could convince that its not a blatant hack in the AI's favor. Im in my fourth season now and my goalie's rarely ever get an 8 rating. In fact, i've yet to have one finish the year with an average rating of 7. Yet literally every 2-3 games i play, the computers goalie gets an 8 rating on me. Stopping multiple point blank shots from guys with 16-18 finishing and composure.

I just beat PSV 2-1 in a Euro cup game and i had 36 shots, and 19 on goal. So Gomes (who is an excellent goalie but he isn't a god) stopped 17 shots. PSV of course only had 5 shots, 2 on goal and scored 1.

Anyway, i felt like complaining so i had to come vent. I truly hate it when games resort to cheating to win and that has to be the case in FM 08, there is no other explaination :(

P.S. i still like the game but please address these issues in 09.... regens, the lameness of morale/team talks, the HUGE advantage home teams seem to have, AI super keepers, and of course inflation.

Thank you

i have to admit

its a bit ridiculous how a huge majority of the time it takes

my team alot more shots

to be able to score as much goals as the AI

i dont no why it is but it does SEEM like the game is in their favour

ive lived to learn that it could just be a pre-set game result

so maybe the game is just finding a way of making that result happen

if you understand what i mean

Just lost to Blackburn 1-0 at home, i was in 5th place and they were in 13th. 3 shots for them, 1 goal. 16 for me, 7 on goal, nothing. Chris Kirkland was the star of the game of course. So that's back to back 1-0 losses where i've had a grand total of 35 shots, 15 on goal and no goals to show for it. Plus of course, the legendary game from Gomes a few games before that.

seriously.... its getting ridiculous.

anyone else having this problem? or am i seriously just extremely unlucky?

Just lost to Blackburn 1-0 at home, i was in 5th place and they were in 13th. 3 shots for them, 1 goal. 16 for me, 7 on goal, nothing. Chris Kirkland was the star of the game of course. So that's back to back 1-0 losses where i've had a grand total of 35 shots, 15 on goal and no goals to show for it. Plus of course, the legendary game from Gomes a few games before that.

seriously.... its getting ridiculous.

anyone else having this problem? or am i seriously just extremely unlucky?

Do you play quick tempo? The quicker you play the more shots you tend to get but they tend to be of "poorer" quality then slows build ups which gets less shots.

1 game isn't really a fair sample to judge this by either

"But all those aside... the most annoying part of the game to me is the super goalies"

Paranoia is a sad thing to see. There's no such thing as a super-goalie. You can get around them by changing your tempo and/or passing style if it looks like one of "those" games. Seriously, I haven't had a problem with so-called superkeepers since the 801 patch, and even then they were beatable if you thought about WHY you weren't scoring. Perhaps the tactical work-around isn't realistic, but it's part of the game's representation of a match. It'll NEVER be 100% realistic. And sometimes, just sometimes, IRL a goalie plays WAY better than he should.

Regens are constantly being developed, and there are tons of quality ones in 2020, but you have to wait until they're about 19-20-21 to play them in your first team. They also need to have had all the right development, coaching and experience, which is annoying. And you think these are bad? Apparently they do get much, much worse with the third generation. One of my peeves with newgens/regens is that kids don't come through with high enough CAs aged 17. I've yet to see a Rooney or Ronaldo (the now-fat one) who were both corkers at 17.

"I truly hate it when games resort to cheating to win and that has to be the case in FM 08, there is no other explaination"

The game doesn't cheat. 1) it can't - it's a computer game and as such has no desire to do so, nor the ability to CHOOSE to, and 2) the match engine does not know whether it's the AI manager or the human manager giving it tactical instructions/subs/team talks. The AI doesn't get it right every time, hence why I can beat Liverpool with Derby or Chelski with Leeds.

The "AI Cheats" crowd seem to stem from the perception that it's possible to win every match comfortably just because you have better players than most of your opposition or that because you beat Real Madrid on Tuesday you should automatically beat Barnsley on Saturday. The fact you can't do that is a strength in my opinion - and was why I found FM07 hard to keep going with past the ten year mark. Too easy.

FM08 is nowhere near perfect and I'm not defending all its faults. But the "AI cheats" nonsense still annoys me. It's a game. Treat it as such.

Archived