Got a couple of major gripes with the way the game handles friendly matches. Fwiw, I'm starting as Man Utd.

So, gripe number 1- Why am I playing teams like Bayern Munich a couple of days into pre-season? The 'bigger' friendlies generally take place at the end of July/start of August when the team is match fit and conditioned. Why would a team play such a game at a date when they're just getting the players back and are concentrating on fitness? Usually, there's a one-off friendly with a fairly mediocre team by United's standards a couple of weeks in, followed by a tour of a country/region that occasionally includes playing against a 'big team' (Barcelona last year in the US for example), and then a big game (or two in some cases) at Old Trafford 5-7 days before the Community Shield or first game of the season. Also, why does my reserve team regularly get given friendlies against Premier League first teams? Reserves mainly play non-league first teams with the odd League 1/2 first team thrown in. If a Premier League team is played, it's the reserve squad.

Gripe number 2- allowing assistant to take control of a friendlies. I have a first team squad for a reason. Why does my assistant insist on picking over half of my reserve/youth squad? If I wanted them playing I'd move them up to the first team, and reserves and youths have their own friendly matches to play.

And before anyone says 'cancel the friendlies, make your own, take control of your team etc', I already do due to the above, but it's annoying having to do it. Are we likely to see an improvement on the way the game handles friendlies in FM13, at least in a future version?

Archived