Tactics for playing away?

I have a really difficult time winning my matches on my travels as people have said here. I am about to play a crucial match against Chelsea that would definitely put me back in the race for a top 4 finish (the title is all but gone I would think). I have only won a single away match all season 1-0 and that was a UCL qualifier against a team I had never heard of. I usually run control (fluid) and a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1. Any extra tips for away travels? Keep in mind that Chelsea will have a crazy attack.

How strong is your team? Against a team that's equal in strength you should use standard as control pushes your defender up too high and unless they're very fast (at least can match their striker/winger in term of pace/acceleration the you're likely to be caught on counter) especially with 4-4-2 since it's a very open formation. My main goal on away games is to at least go for the tie, so I use keep possession shout, it will make my attack build up slow but all the extra possession helps a lot defensively. I think for real tips though you'd need to post screenshots here :) so people would have better idea of how you play your game.

Oh and just as a rule of thumb at least for me, away game against bottom league team can sometime be harder than home game against top league team, so I always field my best player on away games and play extra careful :p

In FM12 so far as a small team (Fortuna Dusseldorf) I used Standard at home and Counter away, but as a much bigger team (Bayern Munich) I use Control at home and Standard away. I also make some of my defenders roles a little more defensive away from home.

I use classic so it may not be of use to you but I find any formation with a back four is open to the opposition. Defending is so poor on this version taht even a 4-5-1 which I quite like IRL is a disaster because wingers don't defend or help out the full backs and even if you can get them to they then lose something attacking wise.

I play a 4-4-2 at home but have just been trying a 5-3-2 for tougher games. Three centre backs, two full backs, three central midfielders and two strikers. Havingb reasonable results with it and got a 0-0 draw v Man City. I have found the key is not play too defensive as you will just get picked off and using counter attack leaves you without cover if your attack breaks down. So I play a normal mentality and normal width and with that middle centre back it seems to provide decent cover whereas with two up top you seem to hold it better whereas I find one striker gets no ball at all. So in a nutshell try 5 at the back.

I have been using a 4-1-2-2-1 (1 DM-d, 1 DLP-s & 1 BWM-s in the middle of the pitch, 1 Winger Support on the left, 1 IF-att on the right and 1 poacher) using counter to great effect while away. I do not get many opportunities or shots on goals but the ones I get are good ones and I usually win these games. I started using this after reading one of Cleon's posts in the tactics forum (a great post).

Archived