Posession tactics underrated in fm2012

tactics that develop 60 % or more posession should affect opossition morale,concentration,and also should iritate more the opossition no need for examples we all know what happend when Barcelona steps on the pitch.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/295747-900-passes-is-it-possible-on-FM

In this thread we also see that possesion tactics arent so efficient and its working more against your team than in favor of your team.I can make a tactic with 3 man at the back playing as Norwich Vs Arsenal and having 65 % possesion but i still loose 2-0 or 3-0 by having 0 shots on target while arsenal 10+,this is not normal and something is wrong here.

Only an idiot manager believes that possesion is as important as the media make out.

Stats can be used to prove almost anything but in the end the only stat that matters is goals scored!!!!

The reason why some teams have masses of posession is because the pass it all along the backline and then back again. Most managers (with a brain) would simply let them do that and fall back into shape.

If my team comes up against Barca for instance and the score is 0-0 I'm more than happy to sit back and let them do it.

Posession is NOT all that. :D

Its a bit like passing %. There are a few players who amass 95% in a game. Why? Cos they only ever pass it sideways or backward. The quality players have 65-75% because they will look for that killer pass a lot more often.

Only an idiot manager believes that possesion is as important as the media make out.

Stats can be used to prove almost anything but in the end the only stat that matters is goals scored!!!!

The reason why some teams have masses of posession is because the pass it all along the backline and then back again. Most managers (with a brain) would simply let them do that and fall back into shape.

If my team comes up against Barca for instance and the score is 0-0 I'm more than happy to sit back and let them do it.

Posession is NOT all that. :D

Its a bit like passing %. There are a few players who amass 95% in a game. Why? Cos they only ever pass it sideways or backward. The quality players have 65-75% because they will look for that killer pass a lot more often.

Its not that easy as u think,posession it gives you possibility to control the game and if posession is used right you can open any defense or shape .And teams with posession can counter too because they play high the pitch closing down in opossition's half where a recycled ball can trigger a counter too.

Barcelona terrifies the opposition because they're Barcelona and they have players who can create chances at the drop of a hat against the most organized defensive squads. By contrast, you have teams like Liverpool under Dalglish where smaller teams are happy to park the bus and let them tap the ball around, confident that they'll be able to control the situation as it moves into the final third.

And a lot of the tactics in the thread you link to are purposefully extreme attempts to maximize the number of passes per game. If they're ineffective, it's probably a result of being unbalanced in other ways. Typically, the biggest problem will be strikers constantly receiving the ball in difficult positions after an extremely slow build-up that has allowed the defense to effectively organize.

To get around this, you will need multiple goalscorers with high balance, agility and composure who can work comfortably under a lot of pressure within heavily restricted spaces.

Logically, to be attacking, you would want to create space and one of the easiest ways of doing this is to get the ball behind the opposition's defense I would think?

Therefore shouldn't more direct passing be the the quickest and simplest way to unlock a defense?

Logically, to be attacking, you would want to create space and one of the easiest ways of doing this is to get the ball behind the opposition's defense I would think?

Therefore shouldn't more direct passing be the the quickest and simplest way to unlock a defense?

Yes, it is the quickest and simplest way to create a good chance and that is why most smaller clubs play that way. The point of a possession tactic is primarily to neutralize the opposition's attack and restrict counterattacking opportunities. The trade off of that defensive benefit is that you need extremely skillful and composed attacking players to create chances in the limited space that will result from allowing the opposition to reorganize defensively. It can be devastating with the right players (for example, Fabregas, Messi) and useless with the wrong ones (for example, Stewart Downing, Andy Carroll).

But as you suggest, it is necessary to get the ball behind the defense for a direct approach to work. Against teams that park the bus and sit deep, direct passing will lead to a lot of false chances and give the opposition a constant supply of counterattacking opportunities.

Archived