Why does the game consider it okay to override my decisions?

I started again with my Sheriff save and I managed to qualify for the 2011/12 Euro Cup group stage after beating Tottenham. Anyway, I was 3-0 up against Lokomotiv Moscow when I received a penalty. I had a player on a hattrick and, so, obviously my normal penalty taker wasn't allowed to take it and the penalty was missed.

My question, as the title gives away, is why does the game consider it okay to override my decision? What if I had needed to score the penalty to stay up or win the title? I think it arrogant of SI to implement this feature and not give us a say. Why not pause the game and have a dialogue box with the option?

It is one of those tricky features that doesn't take into account context. I've had a similar situation. 2-1 up in a 1st v 2nd match, when I win a penalty. Up steps my double goal scorer, who has a very average penalty attribute, to blast it over the bar. In that instance, I was fuming that the regular penalty taker was overlooked, as the two goal cushion could have been vital. Ended up winning 3-1 anyway, but was still annoyed.

If you are cruising, I can see the logic in letting the guy go for his hat-trick. The coding needs to take into account the context and the professionalism of the players. For example,it might be that the two goal player is highly professional and refuses to take the kick ahead of the designated player.

Please be careful with your choice of words. Adding a feature like this is hardly arrogant. It is a nice idea that doesn't work as well as it could. That's all.

Archived