Work Permit Problem

So just a small question. I am inn my 3rd year in the Championship and its now the summer transfer window. A good young (22) Turkish Left back who I had been scouting for awhile left his team in the German 2nd division. He was still only Turkish nationality but he had played 7 times for the U21 Turkish side and I thought he would probably get a call up to the senior side if he progressed a little further.

So anyways I offered him a contract and he accepts. Well of course he then fails the work permit and also the appeal which made me a bit angry as I didn't have a foreign club to loan him out to so he could get EU citizenship. Nothing could be done I thought...then two weeks later a news bit pops up that Carlisle in L2 signed him for half the money I did and he got a work permit.

Now what I don't understand is how he can get a WP for a club in L2 but fail to get one for the Championship. Doesn't matter in the long run as I signed a wonderful Italian U21 and he has been fantastic for me. Just wondering why this would happen.

From anecdotal evidence, it seems like the proposed squad status plays a part in this. I've generally had better luck with first team and key player contract offers than the rest. That being said, there seems to be a random component to it along with the rest (potential, caps, etc).

Archived