Help with 'Threads' / 'Patches'

Okay, please bear with me on this one.... I've played FM for years but never used a 'Patch' or 'Update' I've always just taken the game for what it is....

Could somebody please help me with my queries below...

Is a 'Patch' or a 'Thread' the same thing?

Where do I find, download and apply a patch or thread to my game?

If I download the latest patch or thread will that then include updates and data from previous patches released since the original game but before the latest path or thread?

If I add a patch/thread to my 'save-game' will players then move automatically in-line with IRL transfers?

Thanks for your help with this.

A patch will sort out any bugs/issues that have been spotted since release.

Assuming you're playing FM12 - Steam will incorporate any patches automatically (you can check which version you are running by going to FM > Game status)

The latest patch would include all the information released on any previous patches.

Transfer changes would only appear in new games started. Your current saved game will not include any database changes.

Not sure what you refer to with thread. The only thread I'm aware of are the threads (topics) in this forum.

Thank you for that sorry got my knickers in a twist i meant 'updates' not 'threads'

Yeah I'm playing FM12 through Steam. So every time I log-on to steam it applies the latest patch and will update the data when that patch is released in Feb time??

I don't need to download anything?

Thank you for that sorry got my knickers in a twist i meant 'updates' not 'threads'

Yeah I'm playing FM12 through Steam. So every time I log-on to steam it applies the latest patch and will update the data when that patch is released in Feb time??

I don't need to download anything?

Yes: Steam does it all for you. You used to have to do it manually but no longer.

Just to add, there are two kinds of updates. Game updates and database updates. The game is currently on version 12.1.1 (visible on the Game Status page), the database (who and where and what rating all the players/staff/clubs etc are) is still on 12.0, and will remain so until after the January transfer window closes, at which point SI have indicated there will be a database update as well.

Archived