handball query. at what point is a keeper considered to have committed handball

a couple of times in my game, the keeper has grabbed the ball, in the area - while in a standing upright position - and then fallen forward, so that the majority of his body, including his feet, are in the area, but his hands and the ball are outside the area.

is this classed as a handball in real life, or not? neither times has this been a handball in FM12.

Ive seen a handball given on a keeper and he was completely out of the area with the ball in his hands, the momentum carried him out.

I guess its just a graphical misrepresentation of what the game engine sees, I dont know the rules so my guess there is assuming its any part of the body or ball.

i'm sure i heard somewhere that as long as the feet are in the area its not handball. it still doesn't clear it up for me, though :)

i mean, if the feet are in the area but the keeper plucks the ball out of the air, when the ball is not within the bounds of the area, and the attacking player was about to get it would that be handball?

i'm sure FM has it represented correctly but this is part of the rules that i'm not sure about.

IRL its a handball yes, but in FM I alwayas see GKs grabbing the ball from just outside of the area.

only once happend that a GK catched a ball in FM game, and because of field condition he slid with the ball to the outsaide of the area. the ref gave a foul, and a yellow card to the keeper.

but its common to see a GK wait the ball right on the edge of his box, but if he goes down to grab the ball, he'll grab it from outside.

the most frustrating thing is that the GK could in most of these situations come few steps forward earlier, and control the ball very comfortably with his feet. But they don't do so, unless if the opposite player is extremely close, they rush out, and instead of kicking it away or nudge it to flanks, they hit the ball very stupidly, either with their heads, or shoulders, straight to the opposition.

Irl the keeper handball if he touches the ball with his hands and the ball being outside the area.

The line is part of the area and it does not matter if the keeper's other body parts are in- or outside the area.

Not sure if that distinction is made properly in FM as well.

Archived