iPhone game crashing problem - Fixed

I am now getting this issue every time and is making the game pretty unplayable. Every time that I'm mid-game but the iphone screen turns off because of inactivity (i get distracted with something else) the next time the screen comes on the game is unresponsive and when I exit out to the main screen and then re-open the game it resets itself to they log-in page meaning i've lost everything I've done since the last save

Is anyone else having this issue or is it something to do with mine only? if so any suggestions as to how I can fix this?

(MV - Edited in 'update' to title to indicate its no longer the case)

• SI Staff

Hi, thanks for reporting this, it sounds to me like what you're experiencing may be memory-related in some way. Just want to check a couple of things:

- Have you tried rotating the device when the game screen is unresponsive? We've found this often clears up this type of issue.

- Have you tried turning your iPhone off and then turning it on again? It could be that the game is not finding enough available RAM due to memory fragmentation and a proper reset of the device could solve this.

• SI Staff
- Have you tried turning your iPhone off and then turning it on again? It could be that the game is not finding enough available RAM due to memory fragmentation and a proper reset of the device could solve this.

When Alari says this he means 'fully rebooting' it - toggling the on/off button does NOTHING at all.

To fully reboot a device please:

* Hold down the power button for 2-3 seconds until a page saying 'swipe to power off' appears

* Swipe as indicated

* Wait for device to turn off (this will take a few seconds)

* Hit the on/off button for the device to restart (this will take a few seconds)

Your memory will now be fully defragmented which might help.

• SI Staff

The other thing which 'might' be causing the issue is lack of space on the device itself? - how 'stacked' with data is your device, the iOS operating system itself doesn't particularly 'like' you using absolutely all the space available - I'd suggest always leaving 100Mb or so free if possible.

• SI Staff
Ok a full rebooting as you put it combined with an itunes sync seems to have resolved this :thup:

Odd that the game is struggling for memory because I have over 15gig still free on my phone?!

Your device has two sorts of memory - the 'storage' which is the 15Gb you have free and RAM which is a fixed amount applications are loaded into when they're active.

If you don't reboot your device then over a long period of time the RAM can become 'fragmented'* which makes it hard for apps to get memory, when this occurs the phone/iTouch will slow down and might become unstable.

*Think of the RAM as a cake, it starts whole and neat, as you use it up its cut into slices which can't be put back together into the whole easily without throwing the cake out and baking a new one (ie. rebooting the phone fully).

Archived