Can't sign Internationals for MLS teams

Im 7 years into my game, started off at Bolton then went to Chelsea & Man City, I decided to resign from City & try get a job in the MLS, got offered the NY Red Bulls job & notice that Sam Vokes & Anthony Stokes where available on a free, I offered them contracts as designated players, it got accepted & I just had to wait for the window to open. When it did, the deals fell through because it said I was not allowed to sign international players! If anyone could explain to me why this is & how I can solve the problem i would be very grateful! Just so you know, it is my first time as an MLS club so if the answer is obvious i appologise for my lack of knowledge! :) thanks

In 2011, a total of 144 international slots are divided among the 18 clubs. Each club began with eight international slots, which are tradable. There is no limit on the number of international slots on each club’s roster.

The remaining roster slots must belong to domestic players. For clubs based in the United States, a domestic player is either a U.S. citizen, a permanent resident (green card holder) or the holder of other special status (e.g., refugee or asylum status).

Archived