Decent tips for a new football manager player?

Hi guys,

I've been playing for a while but I really really suck at this game. I just don't feel like I have any control over the results and everything happens at random. FM just hasn't "clicked" for me yet even after a few years.

Does anyone have any decent tips for the football manager series? Not looking for a list of regens or decent young players but more so hoping for a few small tips that will have a overall positive affect on how well I do in the game!

Hi guys,

I've been playing for a while but I really really suck at this game. I just don't feel like I have any control over the results and everything happens at random. FM just hasn't "clicked" for me yet even after a few years.

Does anyone have any decent tips for the football manager series? Not looking for a list of regens or decent young players but more so hoping for a few small tips that will have a overall positive affect on how well I do in the game!

Personally I've always felt the biggest area a player has to get his head around is how to build balanced tactics and understanding that the terms "Attack" & "Defend" aren't as literal as they sound.

When building your tactics its not as simple as putting your forwards on attack, midfielders on support and defenders on defend - There should be a mix of orders.

In terms of players instructions a player on attack will move forward when you win possession looking to get ahead of the ball, he'll look to play the ball forward when in possession and he'll look to play quicker, riskier passes.

While with a support order a player will look for space making himself available for a pass, look to keep possession more as he waits for a chance to open up and generally be more patient & slower playing safer balls square/backwards.

Finally with a defend order a player will look to stay behind the ball playing safe passes and clearing the ball when under pressure.

When not in possession an attacking order will result in the player looking to put the opposition under pressure, closing them down and making a challenge whilst a more defensive order will see them hold position, backing off and looking to force a pass or block a shot.

As an example this is my current formation (On FM11) - 4132:

GK - Sweeper keeper - Defend: My defence aren't the quickest so I like a keeper who comes off his line to clean up long balls.

DCL - Stopper - Defend: The bigger, stronger one of my DCs looks to step forward and challenge for headers whilst staying behind the ball.

DCR - Cover - Defend: The smaller, quicker DC who is my last line of defence looking to clear up loose balls that the DCL challenges for.

DL/DR - Fullback - Attack: With my formation being narrow its the fullbacks who provide the width getting forward to put crosses in.

DMC - Anchor man - Defend: With the fullbacks out of position up the field the anchor man provides cover for them as well as marking the opposition AMCs

MCR - Box to Box - Support: An athletic midfielder who can defend/tackle as well as being a threat in/around the opposition box.

MCL - Advanced playmaker - Support: The focal point of my attacks as he makes himself available for passes whilst creating chances for others.

MC - Central Midfielder - Attack: Looks to run at the heart of the defence committing defenders and making space for others around the opposition area.

STL - Complete Forward - Support: Drops off the front looking for the ball whilst will also get into the box when it goes wide.

STR - Advanced Forward - Attack: Looks to run beyond the last defender onto through balls or provides crosses when forced wide.

EDIT

At the start of a match I tend to use "Control" if I feel I'm the better team (especially at home) otherwise "Standard". During the match I'll switch down to "Counter" if I feel under pressure or push on to "Attack" if I need a goal in the later stages.

Archived