Homegrown status, 0-21 vs 15-21.. Anyone knows the difference?

Sorry if this topic has been discussed. I looked up and couldn't find it.

As we all know, UEFA competitions, as well as some leagues, require a certain number of players to have a club/country homegrown (HG) status. UEFA for example require that at least 8 players to have country HG status and at least 4 of them (or 4 other) to have a club HG status. This is defined as follow according to UEFA rules:

UEFA defines locally-trained or 'homegrown' players as those who, regardless of their nationality, have been trained by their club or by another club in the same national association for at least three years between the age of 15 and 21

Any player that fulfills the requirements will automatically be regarded as HG.

FM series and FM12 in particular apply these rules but have something extra that is not found in UEFA rules (SI Sports might have more knowledge in regards to rules that are not published for the public and require more research).

When looking up your players HG status, you'll find players that have 15-21 HG status (whether club or country) but you'll also find another club/country HG status that is 0-21.

The problem with this 0-21 HG status is that any player with this status will not have the 15-21 HG status even if they fulfilled the requirements to gain it and when it's time to register for a UEFA competition, they won't be counted in the HG players required.

I looked up a lot and couldn't find an explanation for this 0-21 HG status. Does anyone has any idea about this?

No, it's still there in FM12 and I had another post in the bug forum coz I thought there was a bug coz I had 0-21 HG players and when I register them to the UCL they aren't counted as HG players but I got a reply from SI that there was nothing wrong coz my players have 0-21 HG status and the UEFA rules require 15-21 HG status.

So, according to them, these are 2 different things but no explanation to the different was given.

So is this still a problem? I remember being seriously miffed when I was Palermo in '11 and my Italian regen (who came into the game at 17) that I had bought from Juventus but loaned out to England for a season never had homegrown status. Absurd, as he cease generated at juve from a random Italian team and had thus presumably spent his entire youth in Italy...please tell me that doesn't still happen?

I asked about this ages ago and I understood what each set of numbers referred to in terms of the type of 'Homegrown' player, but no explanation of what the actual numbers were.

My best guess was 'Age', but as both "club-trained players" and "association-trained players" gain their status between the ages of 15 and 21, what is this 0-21? Is this purely an invention of SI that's meant to represent association-trained players?

It isn't mentioned in UEFA's regulations:-

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/competitions/Regulations/01/63/02/44/1630244_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Page 27, Conditions for Registration, Player Eligibility, Articles 18.08 to 18.11 inc.

Bugs aside, why don't SI just name these players as UEFA do in the regulations?

(Also please note the 3 years 'continuous or not' in 18.08 and 18.11)

Archived