The forgotten (as usual) : UNIX community...

Hello all,

First, I aopologize for my bad english, I'm french and I'm using a translator to write to you.

I'm in the PC/Mac General Discussion, so I think that I am in the perfect place to ask my question...a very simple question : a day, maybe, will you look to the UNIX community and will you work to make Football Manager compatible on UNIX systems ?

This thread is for "PC" discussion, and for MAC. Ok. And Unix systems are working on ... ? PC's. Yes... So what about us ?

Every year, we are bored to fight (really fight) to install and run (correctly!!) FM. This year, with Steam ---- this is particulary compelling.

So are you going to finally take care of us ?

I played all CM's, all FM's, and now ? I'm unable to make FM 2012 demo working on my "Ubuntu".- Being forced to stay stuck on FM 2011 ? And wait...wait...wait... (how long ??) for a Unix version ?

- Buy FM 2012 and lose money because we can't run game ?

You know, I love this game, and I'm very grateful to have developed this game. And this year, as in other years, I'll play FM 2012. Regardless of how.

But honestly. This year, you released the game, so you can activate it by STEAM. You did it to have less pirates and more sales. I fully understand that. But maybe you should ask yourself every year, how much money do you lose, do not make the game compatible with Unix system ?

But even without talking about money, you neglect each year a community, certainly less "popular" - but growing - who was born long before OSX or Windows.

So one last time : what about us ?

Thanks.

Hello all,

First, I aopologize for my bad english, I'm french and I'm using a translator to write to you.

I'm in the PC/Mac General Discussion, so I think that I am in the perfect place to ask my question...a very simple question : a day, maybe, will you look to the UNIX community and will you work to make Football Manager compatible on UNIX systems ?

This thread is for "PC" discussion, and for MAC. Ok. And Unix systems are working on ... ? PC's. Yes... So what about us ?

Every year, we are bored to fight (really fight) to install and run (correctly!!) FM. This year, with Steam ---- this is particulary compelling.

So are you going to finally take care of us ?

I played all CM's, all FM's, and now ? I'm unable to make FM 2012 demo working on my "Ubuntu".- Being forced to stay stuck on FM 2011 ? And wait...wait...wait... (how long ??) for a Unix version ?

- Buy FM 2012 and lose money because we can't run game ?

You know, I love this game, and I'm very grateful to have developed this game. And this year, as in other years, I'll play FM 2012. Regardless of how.

But honestly. This year, you released the game, so you can activate it by STEAM. You did it to have less pirates and more sales. I fully understand that. But maybe you should ask yourself every year, how much money do you lose, do not make the game compatible with Unix system ?

But even without talking about money, you neglect each year a community, certainly less "popular" - but growing - who was born long before OSX or Windows.

So one last time : what about us ?

Thanks.

Do NOT talk about cracking the game on these forums or you will be banned.

@StevenChap : Indeed, I expected it. For that, you're wright. But I'm an IT guy, and I'm optimistic, so I still believe that there is a solution. And so far, it's been the case. This will be the case this year, I am confident. You know, I'm not worried for me, but I know for myself have helped many, as more and more people use Linux and can not install or play FM. When you take the time to realize how many we are (contrary to the prejudices say as you show good), I tell myself that it's still a shame not to make it compatible a game as popular. But you're wright, we are used, it is the least we can say...

@Kriss, thanks for the warning. Banned or not banned, that is the question. I'm not here to talk about how to... Of course not. I'm not here to annoy people you know. But I understand, you do your job.I'm not here to create problems, I'm just expressing real facts...

Imagine someone who wants to play to FM 2012 on a UNIX computer. He can't because it's not compatible. So what ?

- He buys FM 2012 and just lose his money ?

- He stays to 2011 version, during... how much years in fact ?

- He buys Windows ? ^^

- Or... well, nothing else ok.

Reality is here : a entire (and underestimated, trust me...) community is neglected every year.

I wrote my message in the hope of an open debate (always optimistic you see ^^).

If the debate is impossible, my question will be even simpler : Miles Jacobson said that its developpers looked at that a little. Well, is it possible to have a small idea of time before the game will be UNIX compatible ?

@pigfacemonkeyman : sorry, my translator is not very accurate ^^ What do you mean exactly ?

@Kriss : I'm not always "tender" when I speak, but I do not really want to anyone you know. As I said, I've always been able to play. But it's not as on Windows you know : insert CD, install, run. It's a little bit difficult ^^ And everyone does not have chance to succeed like me.

I think everyone here has the same passion for this game. But you know, I think you can all understand that we want to be able to play like any other customer.

So..."our day" will come. I think yes. I hope.

But how much longer ?

Because in the meantime, we can not play...

I've run every version of FM since 2009 through WINE with no issues whatsoever, on three different linux distributions (Mandriva, Ubuntu, Debian). Steam has actually made it even easier to install and run them. I'd love to see a proper linux version of FM one day, but until then WINE has done the job more than adequately for my needs - 3D and all.

@pigfacemonkeyman : sorry, my translator is not very accurate ^^ What do you mean exactly ?

Wow, you can't breathe around here without being censored. What happened to my post?

What I meant was that in pursuing this method of DRM, SI/SEGA have discarded all FMers who don't have an internet connection, or access to suitable alternatives. If they are willing to do this then what chance is there of them catering for other 'minority' sections who aren't yet provided for.

Their 'We're sorry that you will be unable to play the game, please close the door on your way out' attitude can be seen in this thread. (if you can be bothered)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/274801-A-Message-On-Football-Manager-2012-Activation

Archived