Purchasing on Steam, Mac and online?

I'm looking to purchase FM2012 for my MacBook, looks like the only place to download it for the Mac is Steam.

If purchasing on Steam, do you have to keep a constant Internet connection in order to play the game?

Thanks!

Okay, great. Thanks.

Just wanted to make sure I'll be able to play the game without being online.

I'm not happy about Steam being the method for purchasing, I don't like going through the Steam program to be able to play the game, I feel it robs resources and slows the computer down. It may not, but it sure seems like it.

As long as I don't need an Internet connection to play the game, I should be fine.

steam uses ZERO cpu to idle in the background.-

frankly speaking.. people should be lucky they dont use random DRM like starforce etc that really ****es up your pc.. or something similar to ubisoft's always online DRM.

steam uses ZERO cpu to idle in the background.-

Unfortunately on macs, that's just not true. I just checked activity monitor (and I have no steam games running atm) and Steam is idling between 15-25% of CPU. I understand it's less of a problem on windows, but I am with Lobaeux in that whilst I am purchasing FM12 through steam this year I am not happy at being forced to do so.

With either the Mac or the Windows Steam client, the resources it uses in the background are related to the Steam overlay and other Steam Community features. These can be turned off, either globally or for a specific game, and that should reduce your background CPU utilization to almost zero. The global check-box is within the Steam "Settings" menu under the "In-Game" tab. For a specific game, the check-box is in the Properties -> General tab. If you leave these features turned on, the Steam client will be constantly checking to see if any of your friends are online, and if they are, which games they are playing. If you don't have any friends, well, it still checks anyway, it is a very optimistic client. :) If you're offline, this doesn't matter; it will still periodically wake up and check to see if you're back online or not, which only takes an instant.

Unfortunately on macs, that's just not true. I just checked activity monitor (and I have no steam games running atm) and Steam is idling between 15-25% of CPU. I understand it's less of a problem on windows, but I am with Lobaeux in that whilst I am purchasing FM12 through steam this year I am not happy at being forced to do so.

Indeed, it seems to be an issue on macs currently. I'm sure Valve are working on the issue.

Archived