Ye Olde WM

So weren't really sure where to post this but...

Was in University today and we were talking tactics in football and how they evolved from 1-1-8 to the 4-3-3s and 4-5-1s we see commonly today, well what really peaked my interests was after looking at the england WM formation that they used to be unbeaten at wembley for best part of 50 years. well i thought "hmm i wonder how i can apply that to todays squads and quickly jotted down how arsenal would line up in that formation...to be honest i was really intrigued and thought i should experiment with it a bit more. Went home later and turned on FIFA 12 against a mate and chose croatia to be my crash test dummies (mainly because they already play with 3 at the back) so played the match and ended up losing 2-1 after extra time (pure luck eduardo missed a 90th min pen) and now i've decided to start a new fm game with england and try and win euro 2012 with the WM formation...Hope this goes well!!!

I dont recall 1-1-8 but I do 2-3-5 :D

3-5-2 was very popular as is 4-4-2 but 451/433 almost the same depending on attacking of defending stance appears to be a common favourite. often depends if game is domestic or european.

What are the top international sides using (england aside of course!)?

Additionally where the FM falls down is mid pitch players switching with wide players and things like full backs playing as wingers, the 2 DC's switching to left and right and the DM going to DC as fluid in match changes. Many european sides are flexible in this way (holland) but its a tough one for the ME

I dont recall 1-1-8 but I do 2-3-5 :D

3-5-2 was very popular as is 4-4-2 but 451/433 almost the same depending on attacking of defending stance appears to be a common favourite. often depends if game is domestic or european.

What are the top international sides using (england aside of course!)?

the 1-1-8 was from way back in the 1860s it was pretty much a centre back a defensive mid then the rest up top lol i was shocked when i saw it

I just got through my first game and ironically enough it was hungary at wembley (the team that ended the unbeaten england run and effectively ended the WM formation) I actually thought i'd lose 6-3 like england did back then but came away with a 3-0 thanks to amazing substitutions

Archived