When to buy players?

Need some additions for next season and it is currently April and playing FM10. Do I tie up the deals now on prospects the scouts have identified who are coming out of contract or do I wait until bigger clubs release their players at end of season.

Either way I possibly lose my current prospects if I can't find anyone better at end of season as they will already have been snapped up or I sign prospects now and don't have the money if better players are released

Thoughts?

If players are out of contract, by all means sign them now. You risk someone else signing them otherwise, or the club offering a new contract.

Regens will be contracted, but the point is that if you're looking for youth to develop the best time to get them is as early as possible, IE, right after they generate.

For transfers that have a cost you may want to consider that your transfer budget gets reestablished every season. Money doesn't stack up between seasons unless the board happen to assign you the extra.

Are you saying that as the regens are contracted as soon as they are generated then you would have to buy them and there are unlikely to be any unattached? I am playing lower league Italy and my transfer budget in the current season was £6k and I spent this ages ago so have mainly been looking at frees. I have just made the playoffs and am reluctant to sign frees or bosmans now as I may well get promoted and the current shortlist I have drawn up may not be good enough if I get promoted. However if I miss promotion then I may also have missed the opportunity with my current targets.

It's a bit of a dilemma as a few months ago I had decided on a strategy of building for next year with a team good enough to challenge for promotion and an U19's team that had players that could step up to cover injuries. Now I find myself staring promotion in the face with my initial plans potentially in tatters.

It's a tough life being a football manager!!

Archived