Still No Solution!

Basically every since FM11 came out I havn't been able to play it to it's full potential. As soon as any of the patches are downloaded the match engine (I only use commentary) becomes slow and unresponsive. Without the patches the match engine runs smoothly, but with all those annoying bugs! I have to add as well, when using the patches the interface becomes alot smoother, it's just the match engine that suffers.

I tried playing FM11 with the patches on my older, slower laptop, at low and behold it works fine! People keep recommending me to update my drivers, but as far as all the downloads are concerned their all up to date. The fact my older laptop is slower and has lesser specs dosn't seem to reinforce the fact that anything on my current laptop needs updating. The only thing I can fathom so far is that theres something on Windows 7 that doesn't agree with my current laptop and FM11 (my older laptop runs on XP I think).

If anyone has anymore suggestions or help I really would appreciate it, because it's bloomin frustrating having to play the bugged version of the game with no updates!

Like I said, I've tried checking on the Packard Bell sites and Intel sites and it won't let me download any drivers because my current one is either upto date or the downloads that look correct aren't compatible. I wish there was a definite answer because this has really spoiled FM for me. I'd like assurances it won't happen again for FM12 but seeing as I can't find what the problem is it's rather hard to get those assurances!

I just find it so odd that it works perfectly on my old laptop with windows xp (i think) and then it's slow and jumpy on my newest one with windows 7.

I've just made another little discovery. I downloaded the game using steam on my mum's laptop this time. Memory and spec wise it's a step down from my laptop, but hers uses vista. Her Graphics are "Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family" with mine being just "HD Graphics". And again, the match engine works absolutely fine on hers! It takes longer to load the days and weeks because of the lower spec, but something makes the 2d match engine run smoother than my laptop!

Is there a possibility it could be Windows 7 that's the problem? Is there anything else I could try?

"HD Graphics" sounds like it's using a generic driver. The game is running poorly because your drivers aren't up to date. This isn't a problem with the game, but rather with the maintenance of your pc.

Have you let windows 7 itself search the internet for a new driver perhaps? Or looked at your PC spec, found out what graphics card it should have and grab a driver for that from the manufacturers site?

I've been on the Intel site for a start, but every driver that looks like it should work always says its 'not compatible' with my computer.

I've also been on the Packard Bell Website which gives quite a few options. If my laptop runs with Intel, do I HAVE to downloaded an Intel specific driver? The options that are given are as follows...

* AMT Intel Intel iAMT Driver 6.0.30.1203 5.3 MB 2010/03/10

*VGA ATI VGA Driver 8.682.1.0 231.0 MB 2010/03/10

*AHCI Intel SATA AHCI Driver 9.5.6.1001 10.4 MB 2010/07/09

*Chipset Intel Chipset Driver 9.1.1.1024 2.3 MB 2010/07/09

*VGA NVIDIA VGA Driver 8.16.11.8969 174.0 MB 2010/07/09

*VGA Intel VGA Driver 8.15.10.2189 39.2 MB 2011/06/23

So far I've tried downloading that last one, doesn't seem to have any effect! Any more advice would be much appreciated :)

Although this still doesnt explain why the FM11 match engine runs fine on my old laptop (which clearly hasnt had a driver update for ages) and my mums laptop that has lesser specs than my current one.

What is your graphics card, do you know?

If you check your "System Information>Components>Display" it will tell you your graphics adapters name, type, size, installed drivers, driver version, etc. The important part is the chipset, i.e. is ATI or Nvidia (or something else?). Either of ATI or Nvidia have their own driver packages downloadable from their own websites, I have just updated my own Nvidia drivers but not yet had a chance to play the game so dunno what impact they've had.

I think that both sites have a tool for telling you what version of drivers you're using so you can make sure that you have the latest drivers installed.

GL :thup:

Archived