Amount of GB RAM.

Hey, first time posting so..

I'm looking to buy some more RAM to increase the speed of FM due to it slowing down recently. I was wondering how much RAM would it take to make it run pretty smoothly while being able to do other stuff at the same time(Talk on IRC ect..)? Looking at around £60 but can go a bit more(£20) if need to.

I have a toshiba satellite l300 laptop and i will be installing Windows 7 next week if that matters.

Thank you.

You should be able to buy yourself 8 GB of DDR-2 RAM (what your laptop's specification says) with that amount of money. Of course, you probably won't need 8 GB, certainly not if you are getting 32-bit Windows 7 (only useful if your Core 2 Duo is 32-bit - I don't think it is).

I'd upgrade to 4 GB - RAM is cheap for these machines nowadays. 4 GB is more than enough for a Core 2 Duo machine. Shop around, though. For a quick ballpark figure: http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=ddr2+ram+price&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=10567635596097983162&sa=X&ei=_7wkTpO0I46zhAftntyICg&ved=0CFAQ8gIwAQ - £33 for 2x2 GB DDR-2 RAM.

And of course, you can sell or extend your old RAM.

First, do make sure you figure out what you actually have - you might already have, say, 1x2 GB RAM so you only need to buy another stick of 2 GB RAM. On the other hand, it might be 2x512 MB which is a bit of a shame, since it appears your laptop only has two slots.

That PC can have up to 4GB of RAM.

If you are going to install Windows 7, I recommend you to max-out the RAM and make sure Windows is 64bit.

Most likely you have 2x1 GB sticks installed unfortunately. So you need to buy 2x2GB sticks.

back again :p

right, after seeing what you've said, i'm gonna be looking at getting 2x2GB RAM, but not sure what to get..

Would this be okay for my laptop? Link

Also, if i got 64bit for Windows 7, would it cost more?

Also how fast would 2x2GB run FM and would Windows 7 increase the speed?

That RAM wont work. Your laptop uses DDR2 667Mhz Memory.

Is this your laptop http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?service=UK&DISC_MODEL=0&ACTION=PRINT_WITH_BACK&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=150156

What Operating System do you use now? If its Vista you should see a small increase switching to Windows7.

That RAM wont work. Your laptop uses DDR2 667Mhz Memory.

Is this your laptop http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/jsp/SUPPORTSECTION/discontinuedProductPage.do?service=UK&DISC_MODEL=0&ACTION=PRINT_WITH_BACK&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&PRODUCT_ID=150156

What Operating System do you use now? If its Vista you should see a small increase switching to Windows7.

Yeah, thats my laptop.

The one you linked to is a slightly faster model. It should be fine as I know in desktops you can use faster RAM and it just runs at the motherboards speed.

The one I linked above will also require buying two. They are cheap at 12 quid each.

You only need to buy one of them. Its 2GB on the stick so using that with your existing 2GB is the max of 4GB your laptop can handle. Dont know why I said to buy two..oops.

Bought the RAM, thanks for your help.

Nice to see not everyone on forums are trolls. :)

Bought the RAM, thanks for your help.

Nice to see not everyone on forums are trolls. :)

Reading F.C. are rubbish!

2 GB of RAM, mind you, is pretty good already... I'd check and see if you can spring-clean your computer when you have time.

4 GB will always help, of course (caching and all that).

Archived