I love Reading but what happened to Fulham?

After surviving the first season in the Championship with Crewe after back to back promotions I was heading for another slightly better rmid table finish but suddenly my team started to play really well and on the last day of the season we were 2 points off the play-off's. Fulham were on a slide down the league after looking certain for a play-off place. Last day of the season we were at home against Watford and Fulham were at home against Reading who needed a win to ensure they stayed in the league.

crewefix.th.jpg

After not winning in four league matches we went on to win six in a row.

fulhamres.th.jpg

Fulham however lost their last six games. The last day was tense as I saw Reading had put 4 past Fulham and we were at 0-0 until the 90th minute when our star striker went through on goal and scored to send us into the play-off's. We had never beat Peterboro in my time at Crewe but somehow we managed to beat them easily. Then came Southampton a team in the final we took the lead and then they drew level but we managed a penalty win.

League Table

So this meant that we get to play in the EPL next season. This sort of thing is why I love FM if it was the other way round I would hate it. It has however left me wondering what the hell happened to Fulham?

I've seen very similar things happen, with shoe-ins for automatic promotion falling into a play off spot after utterly combusting in the last 6-8 games or so. There's always at least one team that has a poor run in, albeit not always quite so dramatic.

Archived