Question for Marc

• SI Staff
You claim that we cannot have more than 30season due to memory issues. Out of curiosity, where does all of this memory get used up?

Right this is going to get a bit geeky ... but you asked.

The problem is down to how memory is used on computers, especially handheld devices. Simply put the memory management on limited resource devices isn't incredibly robust in nature and is prone to fragmentation.

Fragmentation is when things get split up into lots of small things and you no longer have a large piece left.

To give a laymans example - you have a cake, someone asks for a slice - you cut it and give it to them, someone asks for a bigger slice so you cut that and give it to them ... repeat until the entire cake has been distributed.

Now if people give you the slices back you don't have a full cake again you have a collection of slices - thus if someone asked you for a full cake you're stuck.

What happens with limited memory devices is that after a while the 'slices' of memory are so small that its hard for the device to find memory if someone asks for a large slice ... hence FMHi allocates nearly all its memory 'up front' to avoid the slicing issue occuring later on (the theory being if the game starts it'll be stable in most cases regardless of the state of the memory on the device).

This means its footprint at startup is dependant on the maximum number of seasons playable (as the stat storage etc. is pre-allocated) - this in turn sets a limit on the number of playable seasons which is practical.

(hope that made sense to anyone still awake ;) )

And you are not able to reallocate the memory mid-save? Surely the memory isn't allocated once and that same memory is being used two months on and after several charge cycles?

(I'm not saying your wrong, just merely curious ;))

I don't have a problem with the game being limited up to 30 seasons. In fact, I think it adds an extra motivation to the game. I am currently in my 24th season in one of my saves, and looking forward to see what I have achieved in the end.

I also see a lot of possibilities to the next version of FMH. One is related to the 'generated son'. I would like to see an option that gives you the opportunity to follow your managerial career as your son. I don't know how complicated it would be to code it, but my suggestion would be the following:

After the 30 season limit is reached, and if you managed to generate a son during the game, you would be given the option to continue managing as your son. If accepted, the game would generate a new season in the same way it is generated at the beginning. The only differences would be:

1. The generated database would start on the next year after the final season.

2. Players database would be based on the last season played.

3. As your son is already inside the game, he probably will have a certain reputation (based on the 'famous' father and on his career achievements).

I don't know how feasible it would be, but I hope it can be implemented somehow :)

• SI Staff
And you are not able to reallocate the memory mid-save? Surely the memory isn't allocated once and that same memory is being used two months on and after several charge cycles?

(I'm not saying your wrong, just merely curious ;))

On iOS devices the fragmentation is only fully resolved as far as I can tell when a device is fully rebooted (hold down on/off button for two seconds until 'swipe to power down' appears) - if you fail to do this semi-regularly then eventually you'll find the device slows or becomes unstable.

You also have to realise that a LOT of users never actually exit FMHi on iOS4+ devices, instead they background it and return to it sporadically - meaning that no the OS never gets a chance to clean up the apps memory at all*.

*Exactly how the iOS memory management is handled isn't something which is documented particularly however from a development perspective some of the limitations of it due to fragmentation are obvious and 'testable' within test harnesses - however exactly why thats the case I'm not fully aware of and can only conjecture regarding (as its Apples operating system not mine).

Archived