National management

After 6 seasons with Southampton im contemplating a new challenge. However even though my reputation is national and i have got them to the prem i know from past experience if i resign i will only get jobs offers for the lower leagues - probably cos i put sunday league footballer as my repuation to start. I never though about national management until Bulgaria offered me the job out of nowhere. The question is - do you guys think this is maybe unrealistic? I know its weird but i try to play the game as realistically as possible, for example not using the update as its unfair to have the players in august even though they didnt come till January in real life. I've never heard of a manager managing a club a national team at the same time, i think its pretty much impossible IRL. However it is a game and i want to try something a bit different so what do you think - should i accept the job or not? also does anybody else play the game similarly to me and have rejected international management for the same reason? Cheers

Generally, I mostly accept international jobs as a sort of "side game" to the club management.

In my current save, I've not had the opportunity to manage a national team, as I'm currently just about to embark upon only my second season. I did win Liga Adelante and promotion to La Liga with Granada CF, plus a superb Spanish Cup run and victory. When the Paraguay job came up, just before the start of the lengthy South American World Cup qualifiers, I immediately applied for it, given the lack of Brazil as hosts should help towards me guiding Paraguay to the finals. Unfortunately I lost out to none other than Ossie Ardiles.

As a manager "on the up", I was dismayed at losing out to someone who hasn't managed since 2008. So much so, that when he wanted to call up my Paraguayan striker for a friendly, I refused. ;)

If another attractive international job comes up, then I'll try applying again. I tend to mostly enjoy managing an unfancied side, then seeing how far I can take them. On odd occasions where I do manage one of the "bigger" nations, I do quite enjoy plucking one or two players from obscurity and see how they get on playing for the national team. Managing England once with FM10, I did this with a striker from the third tier of English football, using him as a target man. He went on to be leading scorer in a successful World Cup campaign.

I think the most amusing thing about that campaign and the previously unknown striker's exceptional performances, was that he actually stayed with his third tier club and over the rest of his career, never played at a level higher than the second tier!

Archived