Are there any negative effects in having a player/coach?

I have told several of my first teamers who are over the age of 30 that I think they would be good coaches and sure enough, after praising them for a couple of months they offer to take up coaching. My question is will his performance on the pitch be affected if he has to carry out coaching duties as well? Will his attributes drop as a result? Many thanks....

Not as long as they have good enough coaching stats and are still capable of at least filling a backup role at the very least. It's just the roster spot they take, so as long as they are good enough for that and not a waste compared to your other coaches they are fine.

There's no downside; in fact it was a great exploit for lower league clubs with insufficient coaches. Unfortunately SI have closed that loop-hole; if you have your full complement of coaches, they won't allow any player/coaches, even if it meant more coaching for lower wages!

There is a disadvantage, although not one that you've asked about:

you can only sign player/coaches on coach wages, which means that if the player is any good, you won't actually be able to sign them as a player/coach, but only as a player.

It's daft, but that's how it is.

Archived