Newcomer's questions

Hi everybody,

I'm just new to football managing games, beeing 17yrs old. Playing in a hungarian academy team, I have a good understand on football and a fairly good english.

Among others, I downloaded FM2011 demo, and have remaining questions after browsing through forum and using "my best friend" to get answers.

1. Using of "forward" and "striker" is confusing. I have a forward, my assistant says he's a striker. Another guy a striker. Now (in 4-4-2) setting match tactics the roles are "deep lying forward" and advanced "forward". This whole thing should be cleared, or I'm just too dumb for it?

2. What is the difference between side attacking midfielders (left/right) and wingers? Position is AM L, assistant says winger. Tactics show AM L.

3. Can I send my staff members to courses to make them better in the commercial/final version?

++4. I have a player, who's attributes are really good, played 11 matches (friendlies too), he has a 8.82 average, a number of teams want to sign him - but his value is dropping constantly, started from 3M now he's 950K (4 months passed, his contract ends in 3 yrs, 20 yrs old). Some of the attributes grew better in this period. Assistant says he's a top quality player.

++5. I have another player, who is good for nothing in my opinion, his attributes are fairly mid, his average is 6.62, value 1M constantly, 25 yrs old. Assistant says top quality. Attributes haven't changed.

++So what is the system in the game for evaluating players?

Thanks

1. Forward and Striker are basically the same thing. Advanced forward plays ahead of teammates (closer to opponent's goal) and the deep lying forward plays deeper and tries to be the connection between the midfielders and the advanced forward.

2. No difference. AM L is a winger playing on the far left side. AM R is a winger playing on the far right side. Winger just means they play far to the side (like the wings on a bird).

3. No, but they get better with experience, or you can fire them and hire some better ones.

4 & 5. Not sure.

I meant which team academy do you play for in real life

Ah... It's "Sándor Károly" MTK Budapest's, in co-operation with Liverpool. I'm a right back. Well, not the most talented. (Have a lot work to do on acceleration, turning and heading.)

1. Forward and Striker are basically the same thing. Advanced forward plays ahead of teammates (closer to opponent's goal) and the deep lying forward plays deeper and tries to be the connection between the midfielders and the advanced forward.

2. No difference. AM L is a winger playing on the far left side. AM R is a winger playing on the far right side. Winger just means they play far to the side (like the wings on a bird).

3. No, but they get better with experience, or you can fire them and hire some better ones.

4 & 5. Not sure.

1. Yes, I know it. I was thinking a lot on it, what is my problem, and here: seems the program uses 2 names for one position, and mixes it with the playing roles/styles. In this naming convention I could call forward deep lying striker and still everything's "OK". See?

2. Same as point 1.

Ah... It's "Sándor Károly" MTK Budapest's, in co-operation with Liverpool. I'm a right back. Well, not the most talented. (Have a lot work to do on acceleration, turning and heading.)

Wait this means you are in the game???

Or it's not the name of MTK Budapest youth team.

We've had a few other people be in the game before too! I think I was in it in FM07 as 17 year old, but due to injuries to my knees I gave up, and now I just sit on FM11 and wish I was still playing :p

1. Using of "forward" and "striker" is confusing. I have a forward, my assistant says he's a striker. Another guy a striker. Now (in 4-4-2) setting match tactics the roles are "deep lying forward" and advanced "forward". This whole thing should be cleared, or I'm just too dumb for it? Forward and Striker are basically the same term in english. A forward is commonly the ball playing person up front, and the striker is the goal scorer, but the terms have become very diluted

2. What is the difference between side attacking midfielders (left/right) and wingers? Position is AM L, assistant says winger. Tactics show AM L. AML and AMR can mean an attacking Winger (like a wide striker or very offensive wide midfielder with pace) or a wide midfielder. Thierry Henry and Theo Walcott both played/play as attacking wingers for example.

3. Can I send my staff members to courses to make them better in the commercial/final version? No, however as stated above their attributes increase over time and they do get better.

++4. I have a player, who's attributes are really good, played 11 matches (friendlies too), he has a 8.82 average, a number of teams want to sign him - but his value is dropping constantly, started from 3M now he's 950K (4 months passed, his contract ends in 3 yrs, 20 yrs old). Some of the attributes grew better in this period. Assistant says he's a top quality player. as for these two points, it comes down to a number of factors, usually POTENTIAL, when you look at the assistant reports of these players I would guess (and I'm only guessing) that the second player has many stars in the Potential rating, where as the first player is playing to his potential, and possibly won't improve much from now on.

++5. I have another player, who is good for nothing in my opinion, his attributes are fairly mid, his average is 6.62, value 1M constantly, 25 yrs old. Assistant says top quality. Attributes haven't changed.

Archived