(Darlington) Not getting option to enter my reserves into a reserve league...

Currently playing a game as Darlington. Have been promoted a couple of times and am now in Division One.

However I have not received the option to enter my reserves into a reserve league in any season I have played so far. Usually you get asked if you want to enter your team into a reserve league - however that just isn't happening for me.

I have been arranging lots of friendlies for my reserves to keep their match fitness up - but it is extremely time consuming to arrange one friendly a week for an entire season and (annoyingly) for some reason I do not even get a match report - just an unclickable/unselectable score on the fixtures list..

Maybe I am overlooking something. Can anyone advise if there is some other way to submit my reserves for a league.

Thanks...

From what I can see Darlington dont have a reserve team in a league IRL. Last time they was in a league was 08/09. The do have U-18's in a league this year though. Maybe the Darlington researcher didnt set them to have reserves in a league and also did it with the U-18's by mistake. I would ask in the Darlington data issues thread if there is one or maybe a Blue Square Premier data issues thread. Maybe somebody there can help.

Just a thought though, is your club Professional, or semi pro? Do you have enough money to run a reserve team and u-18's in a league? Maybe your board dont think you have enough finances to do it yet. Definately ask in the data issues thread though just incase something has been missed in the editor.

i've had to do this on a few of my saves, and it bugs me cos i don't know the answer to this question:

do friendlies help with player development, or are reserve league games more "intense" and therefore more useful?

Not sure I know the answer to this either. All I know is that it does keep my backup players more match fit and ready to drop in if one of my regulars gets injured...

I would assume that if they are getting regular match practice that they should be improving as players too - but no idea if that actually happens or how it compares to the impacts of first team games and training...

It seems that there is no Darlington Data Issues thread - and not sure there is any point starting one over this issue...

I doubt it's a Darlington-specific issue (except for the lack of a reserve side in the first season). From the 2nd season onward, you should be getting asked whether you want to enter a reserve side and U18 side into their respective competitions. I wonder if it is something to do with finances of the club?

There probably wont be a Darlington Data Issues thread but there should be a thread just for Blue Square clubs or maybe even a non-league thread. The only other thing which may work is to use FMRTE to replace your team with another in one of the reserve leagues. Ive never done it so I have no clue if it will work, but as Pompey says, it probably down to the finances of your club and the board not finding it vialble spending the extra money on the reserves.

It might be something to do with the finances.

I have been in negative territory at the end of each season. Organising friendlies against high rep teams at the start of the season (July) gives me just enough of a cash injection to get back into the black but am making an operating loss each month. My board agreed to a training facilities improvement but then cancelled it due to lack of funds in May/June.

That may be why they aren't offering me the opportunity to enter a reserve team league.

Have sold a few players this year and with slightly improved average attendance (5,490) and a wage bill that is £10k per week under budget I am hoping that I can finally show an end of season profit...

Will let you know if I do and if I get the invitation...

normally u get asked every season if you wish to enter a side in the reserves and under 18s leagues. can only assume that you dont because darlington dont play it in real life

For the first season that would be the case; IRL Portsmouth aren't playing reserve team football this season as Steve Cotterill decided he didn't see the value in it (probably more to do with the fact we're skint TBF). However, in the game, as soon as the 2nd season is about to start, you're asked whether you wish to enter the reserve league. Therefore, I'd assume this happens with other clubs too.

Okay happy to report that I was finally offered an opportunity to play in the Reserves League at the start of my fourth season.

It seems that finances were the reason why I was not offered the opportunity previously. This was the first time I actually had money in the bank when it came round to June...

darlingtonreserves2.jpg

As you can see I also got a Youth League invitation at the same time.

Thanks for the input...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

yup i realised this is an issue for me too and when i played as Aberdeen in my 1st trial season, it was cumbersome to arrange the friendlies

now in my second game, i am playing Southampton in my 1st season and am in the black by 8 million, so dont think its due to finances...hope to have the option in season 2 :-)

Archived