Can I appoint a 38 year old player as assistant manager?

Just joined Stade de Reims in French Div 2, and sacked the assistant. I decided to bring in a number of Spanish and Spanish speaking players, then signed a 38-year old Argentinian who had some good management stats, but on a free transfer playing contract.

I had a conversation with him that went:

Me: I think you would make a great assistant manager one day

Him: Great, I can start now if you like

Me: Great, let's go for it!

Or words to that effect. Yet I have advertised my position and he hasn't applied! I tried to change his contract, but it said "I've only just signed, I am not entering into contract negotiations". Is there any way I can get him to retire and appoint him as my assistant, as with so many Spanish speaking players, I think he would be useful, as well as his motivational skills, and it says he wants to get into coaching when he gives up the game?

If he's only just signed his playing contract you'll have to wait a few months at least before he'll even consider negotiating a new deal

OK. Well I'll leave him in the reserves and tutoring one of my kids in his position to give him some practice, and appoint an interim assistant. Thanks. Puzzled why he suggested we 'start now' with him as assistant, it makes no sense... IRL if you had that conversation, you'd get the assistant manager contract out there and then and start negotiating!

Well, it is in the development section for a reason. When you suggest a player might be a good head coach they don't obviously take your place once they "start right now". You're developing them towards that position. Part of that process may be as a player/coach.

The first step is obviously talking with the player and finding out their experiences, abilities, tendencies, etc. Thus the new abilities display after this process. The next process may be as a player/coach then upon retirement more phases in their development. I imagine that prospective head coach would be reluctant to taake on anything less than a privileged assistant job upon retiring from their playing days.

Although the contract thing is probably just a general contract thing. The game's players refuse to change so quickly. Even a Premier league team has trouble signing a new League 2 player.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is on the same lines or a different problem on FM2011. I did have a player/assistant manager (Gary Neville) but that seemed to go pear shaped when he retired from football as he ended up leaving the club straight away even though he had a contract & obvoiusly now won't re-sign as the game is set up for him to dislike the club that termintaed his contract (even though I didn't)

Anyway, I then placed an advert for a new assistant & one of my coaches (Paul McGuiness) has applied for it & I want to offer him the job. However I can't because he says he recently signed a new contract as a coach & won't enter into negotiations! I can't amend anything on the screen. Do I really have to give the job to Ray Wilkins?!

Archived